• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SHOULD Christians do MA?

Should Christians do MA  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians do MA

• Yes, they are great!
    • No, they can be a stumbling block.

Well , I was raised Catholic . But I also took some things of buddhism...

I know that Jesus got angry when the traders made a shopping of his father´s house , and he used physical strength to send them away....Was a noble cause.

I do not find any problem wih MA and any religion ( except with Quakers and those who reject violence even if you are being abused).

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Most definitely anyone who is willing and able should be accepted into MA training/class. However I personally feel that the Dojo is NOT the proper forum for religious, political or discussion of social issues. There is a time and place for everything. :D

"Without Ki, without Kime, there is no true Karate"

• 2 weeks later...

My dojo is associated with the Christian Martial Arts Association. My instructor REQUIRES that all of his instructors (including myself) be born again Christians. We keep the dojo a Christian environment but also teach some pretty sweet self-defense.

• 7 months later...

I am a Christian and I take martial arts. I don't feel there is anything wrong with taking martial arts unless your priorities are wrong. God, Family, Church, Work, recreation. Anything can become a sin if its first in your life, be it talking on the phone, playing basketball, walking, running etc etc etc....

Why not?.......

...The martial arts is not a religion, but it can be studied religously.

....That just reminded me of a comment that a friend of mine made, he said, "Christianity is not a religion but it is a philosophy that is practiced religiously"..... I laughed first, then I scratched my head :-? then I saw inclings of truth within what he said. :idea:

Fighting arts that were not effective for fighting and selfdefense, never lasted long enough in martial arts history, to gain the Traditional Martial Arts - TMA - status.

I don't feel there is anything wrong with taking martial arts unless your priorities are wrong. God, Family, Church, Work, recreation. Anything can become a sin if its first in your life, be it talking on the phone, playing basketball, walking, running etc etc etc....

I agree with Justin Treadaway. I am a Christian and have been training in MA for years. Actually, two of the schools I have attended over the years have been in church buildings. I don't see any inherent conflict between the two.

Ed

Ed

Requiring people to be Christians to be a member of a class is just as bad as teaching martial arts without philosophy. Accepting Christianity is a personal decision, and should never be used as a basis for admitting students.

Having said that, I know several Instructors personally who are devout Christians and have no problems whatsoever practicing traditional Tae Kwon Do, including the philosophy. The philosophy of TKD is perfectly compatable with religion. Our Instructor lives and practices by TKD philosophy, and has never required his students to be of any religion. Anyone who thinks Tae Kwon Do and its philosophy is incompatable with Christianity should look at it again.

There is no martial arts without philosophy.