• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question on sparring

Anando

How do you actually spar when you are doing Karate - Do ? As far as I know there is only one technique which is called Choku Tsuki. In my opinion this technique is kinda rigid so I don't really know how to practise sparring ? Could anyone help me ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
There are many techniques that you can use in karate, not just Choku-Tsuki. If you're not too sure about sparring, the best person to ask would be your instructor, I'm sure he or she can help you with what you need to know! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

It is true that there are many different techniques that you can use while sparring, but it also depends on the type of sparring you are currently learning. For example, are you doing one-step sparring(like blocking and countering), or a three-step sparring sequence? Many times you are taught sparring methods in "baby steps" before you move onto more free sparring. The one-step/three-step sparring teaches you basic combinations that you can utilize during sparring, it also teaches you proper footwork and angles. Once you become proficient then you move onto the free sparring where you can put all you combinations together, while keeping with your footwork, balance, and angles. Hope this helps :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Anando,

You need to understand that in the kihon you learn exagerations of the techniques, so that you begin to learn the full range of movement for the technique and how to correctly generate power for the technique.

Most of the time these techniques are taught with one hand in the "chambered" position just above your hip. Also you are usually in a low stance.

To do this in sparring would generally be useless, you need to keep both hands up to protect your face/body and you need to be in a stance that allows you to move freely.

So when i say modify, i mean you need to change it so that you only use the "part" of the technique you need. So for a straight punch with the front hand you would throw it from your guard, rather that from the chambered position, you should still generate the same amout of power you did when practising kihon and the technique should still follow the same path.

To put it simply you use only the parts of the technique you need or modify the parts. E.g. we could divide a kihon punch into 3 parts:

start: hand at hip

middle: punch moves out to target

end: punch comes back to hip

if you modify it for sparring it could be:

start: hand in guard position protecting face

middle: punch moves out to target

end: punch comes back to guard position protecting face

That is the basics of it, hopefully you can see the similarities and differences between both. And realise that everyone will modify the techniques a bit differently, after all kihon is literally the basics and sparring should be YOUR OWN expression of the techniques.

It be alot quicker to show you in person but we dont have that luxury so i did my best. :)

I will try to convert the technique into a useful defence punch

Although knowing how to defend is one of the most important parts of sparring, just remember that you need to be offensive to have any chance of "winning" in sparring and in a self defence situation.

Some people say that you NEVER really defend, because every block/parry you do should open up your opponent so you can attack them.

Also you can block and strike at the exact same time.

e.g.

instead of going: block THEN punch like 1,2.

you go: block AND punch so it is just 1.

This literally takes you half as long to do a block and punch which will make it appear to your opponent that you are really fast when in fact you dont have to be quick at all.

For the block and punch to happen at exactly the same time you need co-ordination in both hands. You learn part of this from pulling one hand back to your hip in kihon because you are always aware of your hand position and the fact that it can move independantly.

Dont know if this has much to do with the topic but still it should help you to understand that to go well you need a good mix of offense and defence. Generally more offense though.