• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is TKD considered Karate?

John G, I like your points.

My original point is that TKD is derived directly fro Karate.

This article I posted (http://www.mooto.com/eng/webzine/news_view.asp?news_no=776) is in support of that.

My point about choi is not to say that he's bad for being a communist ( if he was a communist). The point was to illistrate the differeneces and changes in they way TKD history is taught. TKD history has been changed in the past fifty years for political purposes. For Political/marketing purposes, many TKD schools leave out the fact that choi did in fact move to North korea. Aurguments about Korea's turbulant history only go on to show how politics have truly dictated policies.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The WTF is loathe to even admit his existence. You will never see his name mentioned in anything put out by the Kukkiwon. Even in Richard Kim's autobiography Choi is pretty much skipped over. Instead he just says TKD was introduced to the Korean Military in the 1950s.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

I didn't read all of the other posts but here is what I found when I researched it. General Choi founded Tae Kwon Do after studying Shotokan in Japan. Now depending on where you look you will find people saying that some of the techniques in Tae Kwon Doe are from Taekyon or not. Some other arts are supposedly from the Taekyon lineage including Kuk Sool Won, Hapkido and Hwa Hwrang Do (spelling?) However, to answer the original post, Tae Kwon Do is not Karate. It is an empty hand style but Karate is uniquely Okinawan. Please feel free to correct what I said. I just found that stuff looking around.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I can't stand it any more!

Whether TKD is or isn't karate has nothing to do with whether anyone is a commie or not. That someone embezzled money has absolutely nothing to do with what we call anything (unless we are calling the embezzler a crook). And of course long term Japanese occupation influenced local culture and arts, but it didn't completely change the language. Not that the history and politics isn't interesting, but let's keep this in perspective.

TKD in the USA is called karate for one reason- MARKETING. Name recognition! To get people with money in the door so you can get them to willingly part with some of it. In the 50's and early 60's when exotic martial arts were first gaining popularity, there were really only three kinds of Oriental MA's here: Judo, Karate, and "whaaAAT?!?" That's all anyone knew, and even now this general ignorance persists, with the exception that TKD has also become a generic term, in many peoples minds interchangable with karate.

Sort of sordid, ugly, and dissapointing, huh? I know, it cheapens the experience for some. But, there it is. Commerce, enterprise, the prostituting of art for filthy lucre. A brand on the soul of every...

aah, never mind.

Freedom isn't free!