• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is TKD considered Karate?

The only reason TKD instructors put "Karate" on the end of it is because of the meaning of the word Karate, as im sure you know it means "open hand defence" or basicly means unarmed combat. Which is what TaeKwon-Do is. So to say Karate is a martial arts is laughable, the martial arts is the actual style of 'karate' e.g shatokan etc.

You could turn round and say that karate is Taekwon-Do, because they both mean pretty much the same thing.

But Taekwon-Do did NOT originate from shatokan, from my research I understand that TKD is thought to have originated from Tae Kyon, which was the martial art practiced in Korea before the Japanese invaded. But the TKD we know today was influenced by japanese martial arts, as well the different Kwans that existed.

With Honour & Respect...

Nathan Rees,

First Degree Black Belt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathhan, you might want to read the articles by Robert Dohrenwend in the last four issues of Dragon Times/Classical Fighting Arts on the origins of TKD, as wellas the article by Michale Androge in Journal of Asian Martial Arts vol 112, no.4. TKD is an offshoot of Shotokan. I'm sorry if this seems painful. It's connections to Taekkyon are slim if they exist at all.

This does not invalidate TKD as a martial art. It merely sheds light on a poorly conceived origin myth. The reasons for this myth are easily understandable in light of the atrocities commited by the Japanese occupiers of the Kroean Penninsula form 1910-1945. The Koreans wished to have no connection with the Japanese on anything, and "sanitizing" their Karate's past was politically expedient. Be that as it may, the "Stories" have proven unsupportable. What is more importanat, a Korean pedigree free of Japanese antecedents, or good technique? I'll take good technique regardless of the origin any day. :D

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

No, TKD is an offshoot of Shotokan. I'm sorry if this seems painful. It's connections to Taekkyon are slim if they exist at all.

If you read my post , I clearly said it did not ORIGINATE from shatokan :P I didn't say it wasnt influenced by shatokan - which I'll fully admit it was. But the instructors also changed and adapted their knowledge of the arts they had learnt under Japanese rule to suite their Korean martial art.

With Honour & Respect

Nathan Rees,

First Degree Black Belt.

No, TKD is an offshoot of Shotokan. I'm sorry if this seems painful. It's connections to Taekkyon are slim if they exist at all.

If you read my post , I clearly said it did not ORIGINATE from shatokan :P I didn't say it wasnt influenced by shatokan - which I'll fully admit it was. But the instructors also changed and adapted their knowledge of the arts they had learnt under Japanese rule to suite their Korean martial art.

With Honour & Respect

Nathan Rees,

First Degree Black Belt.

The originators of TKD likely never studied any indigineous Korean martial arts. Choi, Rim, Kee, etc... have presented "histories" of their arts to the public that are so full of innacuracies and blatant lies that I would not believe one of them if I was standing in a monsoon and one of them told me it was raining!

Akima,

Did YOUR instructor bother telling you that General Choi was born in North Korea! Furthermore, did he tell you that the IOC of South Korea (President of the WTF) is under indictment for stealing over 1 million dollars. Furthermore, he stated that the money was given to North Korea to assist with sport oriented relations between the countries.

Finally, you failed to mention that the Koreas' (North and South) entered the 99' Games together...now, why is it okay now for the IOC(s) to be friendly working for the unification of their country, but viewed as treasonous for a civilian to do so?

Now, remember I will add the rest of the story everytime I see this poorly attempted propoganda!

And have the nerve to speak of political *:(

Spooky thanks for helping me out here.

Choi was born is N. Korea. So was my mother in law, and you don't see her running for the boarder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are a whole bunch of Cubans in the US, you don't see them building rafts to go south!!!!!!!!!

I am Quite aware of the WTF issues right now. This proves my point that the governing bodies of TKD are corrupt. Perhaps you can go look up the history of Korea, particularly from the japanese ocupation to now. Learn about the political climate and learn how and why the histories of Korean MA have been altered by forces way beyond dojos in Seoul to romove the Japanese influences.

Regarding the '99 games, South Korea has been looking to ways to warm up to the North, Open a dialogue, and possibly open the boarder. This was all before the current crisis. Sports historically have been an olive branch to diplomatic relations.

I really do not have a problem with TKD guys, Just want people to understand the truth. Just don't come in here an read off without at least trying to learn the real story here.

Thanks spooky for helping me out here, you can have a seat now.

The originators of TKD likely never studied any indigineous Korean martial arts. Choi, Rim, Kee, etc... have presented "histories" of their arts to the public that are so full of innacuracies and blatant lies that I would not believe one of them if I was standing in a monsoon and one of them told me it was raining!

True. I do not believe the ture liniage of the Korean MA can ever be verified.

Akima,

General Choi didnt join the DPRK Military...he went as an ambasador of TKD. He did exactly what you stated in your olive branch theory! So where is the problem?

You speak of flight from freedom to communism... do you realize it was the free "Republic of Korea" that has suffered how many coupes? You speak of history from but one side!

Maybe you do not understand the political climate of the Republic of Korea... the name "republic" is more than a bit deseptive.

I may be confused, but if so willing to learn!

So I will "have a seat" and request that you educate me!

Choi meets with DPRK, USA visits Moscow, IRA and protestents at the table, Jews and Muslims...where is the problem?

TAEKWON!

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

In many ways TKD historiography is at the same point Karate historiography was twenty or so years ago. At that time most of us believed the following common stories:

-Karate was developed by the poor Okinawan peasantry to defend against the Samurai.

-Karate weapons were developed from farm equipment; the sai was a plow, the nunchaku was a rice flail, etc....

-Makiwara training originated because the peasants needed to be able to punch through the heavy Samurai body armour.

-Line training, and kumite were traditional training methods used by Karate masters throughout the centuries.

-Motobu Choki was an uncouth, unlettered thug who stood at least six feet tall, and spoke in unintelligible grunts.

Do any of these sound familiar? They were popular stories of Karate "history' as proclaimed by Urban, Haines, Kim, etc... and have all been proven to be false. Are the realities behind these stories more prosaic? Probably, but in may ways they enhance rather than take away from Karate as a whole. Perhaps its a good time to start looking for the truths to the origins of TKD and throw the fallacies of the past away.