• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is TKD considered Karate?

In regards to the topic of the thread, my TKD school called itself "karate", even though the majority of the training was TKD. The head instructor mixed in a lot of other styles into the training, though.

I think he explained that people wouldn't know what Tae Kwon Do is, and Karate was a more accessible term. Basically it was a way to get more students to come.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, even though TKD was in the olympics, it didn't receive much TV coverage. I agree though, it was a pretty lame excuse on his part. My dojo was a little money-hungry.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Well lots of places that teach korean arts call the name of the school Karate. I know all of the Jhoon Rhee/American TKD places in MN do. And both TKD and TSD have been referred to as Korean Karate in the past so I dont see it as so wierd. However 139 dollars a month is alot. My instructor charges 120 a month but that is for a personal check if you pay with cash or a check card its much cheaper. On contract mine is only 86. Also I am wary of any school that has "programs" ie masters club leadership and so forth.

Long Live the Fighters!

I agree w/ u all that karate did affect TKD...but...i guess what I'm trying to say is that, TKD has its own unique charactersitics that lacks in other forms of martial arts...

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

I agree w/ u all that karate did affect TKD...but...i guess what I'm trying to say is that, TKD has its own unique charactersitics that lacks in other forms of martial arts...

I agree. Things like "Master's Clubs," 20 y.o. 8th dans, and 5 y.o. black belts. What a plus!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 3 weeks later...

Toast,

You have no idea what you are talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TKD and TSD are derived from Japanese styles. Choi had a Black belt in shotokan long before he "created" TKD.

After the liberation, Koreans renamed everything to erase the japanese names from the record. One of the reasons TSD was not made the Official sport was that they did not want to rename everything.

Everything you have learned is political *.

Did you master mention that Choi defected to North Korea?

Akima,

Did YOUR instructor bother telling you that General Choi was born in North Korea! Furthermore, did he tell you that the IOC of South Korea (President of the WTF) is under indictment for stealing over 1 million dollars. Furthermore, he stated that the money was given to North Korea to assist with sport oriented relations between the countries.

Finally, you failed to mention that the Koreas' (North and South) entered the 99' Games together...now, why is it okay now for the IOC(s) to be friendly working for the unification of their country, but viewed as treasonous for a civilian to do so?

Now, remember I will add the rest of the story everytime I see this poorly attempted propoganda!

And have the nerve to speak of political *:(

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!