• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference in between Shotokan and Karate - Do

Anando

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Karate is just one of the styles of Karate.

Karate-Do is Karate with a certain philosophy and/or religion attached to it. The word "Do" at the end of word "Karate-Do" means way or method. It means that it not only deals with the how of Karate, but also of the why of Karate.

Karate-Do can be practised in any of the styles of Karate. So there is no difference between Shotokan Karate and Karate-Do if Shotokan Karate is practised with philosophy and/or religion.

"Practising karate means a lifetime of hard work."

~Gichin Funakoshi

To further what Gyte has said, the type of philosophy a school uses is usually attached to their name. Do means way or method where as jutsu means technique especially in a martial sense. You can actually have karate-do and karate jutsu. Do focusing on perfection of character and jutsu focusing on fighting technique. I like to discuss martial philosophy and religion but I tend to leave it out of my teaching if possible. I personally feel that parents and preachers should be much better people to teach their kids how they want them to act than I could. I believe that people have gotten a bit confused over the years on these points. Since most higher ranking martial artists and martial artists that have been practicing for a long time tend to have discipline and good moral character most people assume that they got it from the arts that they practice. I personally believe that they had these attributes to some degree already or they wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

SaiFightsMS is correct of course. I only addressed one side of the issue. Oops. Sorry. I need to pay more attention to the exact nature of the question before i go of on a rant.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

G. Funakoshi when he started teaching did not belive in style. All he done was Karate-do. Shotokan was a name given to his teaching by his students later on. Shoto being his pen name and Kan meaning his house. So the House of Shoto became Shotokan because thats where the trained at. Again Funakoshi was big on the idea of not having a style. This is why Shotokan has a lot of hard and soft kata in it. His sons and students later gave Shotokan some of its traits that we think of it today like the low stance. Funakoshi NEVER taught that. Funakoshi never referes to his karate at Shotokan but as Karate or Karate-Do. Funakoshi had 2 teachers Master Azato and Itsou. So he pulled his art from them as well as his training with Master Kano (judo) in toyko later on.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."