• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring techniques

ITSUKO

I have two sparring experiences to share. First, I was sparring with a 16 yr-old BB. He's very good with counteracting. After free sparring with him for awhile, I pick it up right away. So I planned a facial roundhouse, he dodged it and came in for an attack. But I put that leg down and turn around for a backkick. I got him so bad and I was high for a week. It was an unexpected move that he thought a 5-up could not executed. Second, I sparred with an aggressive lady BB. I have been observing her but have not spar with her before. Finally, I had my chance. I notice that she throws more punches than kicks. As for me, I kick more than punch. So, she chased me into a corner. I fought myself out. We were in a close position. I stepped my front foot back. At that moment, she came in with double punches. I used the same leg and attack for a midsection roundhouse. I got her. It was a good feeling. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I find this post interesting as well. Just make sure that you aren't mistaking kindness for weakness. I always ask my dan grade ranks to leave opening every so often for the lower ranks to take advantage of. You have to learn how to recognize these openings in defense and learn to exploit them.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

If I was a wise master (which I am not) I would hasten your attention to the issue that being able to beat your dan grades should not be see as an achievement but instead, you should be concerned for their weaknesses!

Of course, in any style, it is a persons ability that counts and while they may have achieved their shodan status, if you are finding it easy to get the best of a nidan (or above) then you need to question the system you are learning.

I know for a fact that if I spar with a senior grade of mine, it takes a hell of a combination to score upon them and that only comes from my own many years of experience.

Still, it may simply be as Sasori_Te says, in that they were offering you an opening which you have rightly taken.

Good fun and keep at it.

:)