• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ can work in self defense situation, not ALL street situations include multiple attackers. as long as you know it dosent work well with multiple attackers.

That is one thing i respect about BJJ. It dosent claim to be able to handle things it cant. The practicioners dont carry around a false sense of security.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed wiht the TJS and wolverine. BJJ is a great art. It doesn't claim to take on multiple attackers. But still very effective. Granted I think seeking out stragies for dealing with Muliple attackers is important. That is why there is cross trianing or MMA. -Jeff

No problem man, you didn't offend me, we are discussing different points of view right? :)

BJJ isn't only ground fighting it also has self-defense techniques standing up, agains unarmed attacks, and with weapons.

Some schools does not teach them because they focus or in NHB or in sport BJJ.

I agree with you that in a multipple attackers situation first thing i would want to do is run, second is if i have no chance to escape that situation is to keep on my feet.

BJJ also has some throws from standing up like Judo, that could work in that situation, of course like i said, BJJ does not focuses in that instead in groundwork.

And you're right, I feel more comfortable on the ground so in a fight (1 on 1) i'd go to the ground, if you feel more comfortable on your feet, you would want to keep you there :)

Sorry bro, but BJJ isn't considering the fact that there may be other people around or maybe your attacker has a hidden weapon and is only trying to draw you in. Other things like two people attacking you at the same time, you can't take both down and control them. You are risking way too much by sacrificing yourself to the ground as an attack. It's better to stay on your feet so that running is still an option. Sorry if I offended you, but just because it was designed for the street it doesn't mean that it's good for the street. It's really good groundfighting and sometimes you can't take it to the ground. There are way too many factors in a street fight to think the way BJJ teaches. I think BJJ should keep evolving and incorporate some of the Jujutsu strikes back into it to make it more rounded. I think you are convinced that all fights end up on the ground, but I'm not. I've only had one fight out of about 25 or 30 in my life that ended up on the ground. You like the ground game so you think that way, but I and many don't.

Valencia - Venezuela.

I'm so sick of "BJJ is no good on the street because every fight you have will be against multiple, weapon-wielding opponents and the ground will be covered with glass and syringes" garbage.

I've not had one fight against multiple opponents, nor against a weapon wielding opponent, and I've been in plenty of fights in pubs and clubs whilst either drinking or working as a bouncer.

I've also had plenty of BJJ training partners who had successfully used BJJ in the street against multiple opponents, even ones with weapons.

Sorry, but the street is unpredictable and anyone who says they can "guarantee" success against an armed opponent, or multiple opponents, or armed multiple opponents is lying or delusional.

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

Did you see the fight? how do you know it is true?

I doubt very very much that a 5 years BJJer got beat down that way.

Instead, i do had seen bb karate guys get their * kicked but that's not what this topic is about...

Valencia - Venezuela.

don't take what the kid says too seriously.

no one else does...

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

i saw on sherdog forum that two BJJ guys who train in the art for over five years got beat down because he kept trying to shoot on the street fighting guy.

I read one time that a karate guy got beat up because the got picked up and slamed on his head :roll:

i heard that there's an old guy who lives in the tibetan mountains who can shoot fireballs out of his *

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."