• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

here's a little thought for you.

if the gracies never started the ufc and many bjj schools

BUT instead only taught a few people who 'proved their worth'

what would you say about them then?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line is they have created a deserved mark in MA history for themselves. The only thing is that I find among a great many of the praticioners of this art is a certain cockiness and desrespect for other MA's. I think this is a huge mistake to underestimate anyone period.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I do not disrepect the gracies they are great. I to took bjj and followed them greatly almost blindly like most. Then I met a fourth dan karate guy with 35 yrs experiance and who traveled to many countries, He opened my eyes. All arts have something to offer you but you have to admitt that saying bjj is the greatest is tooting your own horn. I do need to get back to my JKA dojo kun, the holidays are boring.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

It's one of the best groundfighting systems in existence

I am big fan of BJJ mainly the concept trianing and I actually really enjoy the sport aspects of it. The game of chess. And modifcations and such and combiinging with other arts its great for developing skill in that ground fighting range. Developing long, short, and ground fighting ragnes are important well least important to me.

Yes I do find MMA and BJJ cocky against other arts. But there is prove of what they do. Big thing I like about the gracies I know alot of MA cummunity distains is there challange matches. Or the Gracie Challange period. They are willing to prove there art.

-Jeff

Tokeabowl it's not designed for streetfighting. It's designed for one on one fighting. The street is too unpredictable to take someone to the ground right away. You have to make sure there isn't someone waiting to pounce you once you are on the ground with one. There's a lot of things about BJJ that don't make it good for the street. That's why there's a thing called MMA.

Treebranch by what you say, it seems you know * about BJJ's history.

BJJ was not created to compete in MMA, or as a sport, it was created for street defense, that's why it has that reality in it that many people love (including me).

What you say is absurd, so, for you one on one fight in the street is not a street fight? LOL!.

In the street MOST fights go to the ground, althought many times you don't want, you end there, so you don't have an "option".

That BJJ is good for MMA? yes, for sure it is, and it's good for street fighting too since it was created with that purpose.

Valencia - Venezuela.

Sorry bro, but BJJ isn't considering the fact that there may be other people around or maybe your attacker has a hidden weapon and is only trying to draw you in. Other things like two people attacking you at the same time, you can't take both down and control them. You are risking way too much by sacrificing yourself to the ground as an attack. It's better to stay on your feet so that running is still an option. Sorry if I offended you, but just because it was designed for the street it doesn't mean that it's good for the street. It's really good groundfighting and sometimes you can't take it to the ground. There are way too many factors in a street fight to think the way BJJ teaches. I think BJJ should keep evolving and incorporate some of the Jujutsu strikes back into it to make it more rounded. I think you are convinced that all fights end up on the ground, but I'm not. I've only had one fight out of about 25 or 30 in my life that ended up on the ground. You like the ground game so you think that way, but I and many don't.

I think BJJ is a great system...but I'm gonna have to go with Treebranch. BJJ does not prepare you at all for more than a one on one situation. Nor does it make any claim to.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."