• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Umm.... A Graice..... against a guy who does 'Self Defence'...... Oh scarey!

What a joke, just because YOU Shotokan Warrior do shotokan goshinjutsu, doesnt mean anything. I very much doubt any self defence expert could take a Gracie.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not read very well or you do not know the differance between fighting and self defense. And yes if a gracie walked up to my instructor in a bar and grabbed his shirt, gracie would not be here. Must be someone who can back me up, I drill to death in self defense and it does not matter who the other guy is.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

I would once again like to point out that ANY MMA fighter is better conditioned than half the planet. The Gracie's made their mark in real fights...that's where their art started. Saying "if my instructor fought a gracie" is pointless becuase its a hypothetical situation that hasn't happened, and you have nothing to base it on. "It doesn't matter who the guy is" is just arrogance. There is ALWAYS someone better than you.

My art, that I have a first dan black belt in, is entirely based on street effective self defense. I would never make any such claim that I could take anyone in a self defense situation/fight. If I can, I can...but I know there's always someone better than me.

The Gracie's are a group of people I greatly admire, which I think is fairly obvious from the majority of my posts. Their art is far from perfect, but they revolutionized martial arts as we know it, through their technique and through their marketing of their art with the advent of UFC. It is widely accepted that Rickson is one of the best fighters in the world, and the rest of the Gracie's are no slouches. Say what you want, but you simply don't know until you fight them. Confidence is one thing. Arrogance, however, is just asking for trouble.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Yes... from the beginnings of time all the militaries have chosen to send their soldiers into local pubs for nights of partying instead of training them in martial arts, as we all know the martial artist will lose a fight to a bar drunk any day, right?

Gimme a break. Ever heard of "the delivery system"? Check out some of Matt Thornton's writings if you don't know the term as it relates to the martial arts.

The Gracies for me are just the next generation of great 'masters' of thier trade.

I love Aikido, I know its not greatly respected with the more sport fighting styles like BJJ, Judo, Boxing, Shoot fighting and MT. But I practice it because I enjoy it.

I also do grappling and its against the wishes of my Aikido teachers, but I believe its right for me and in no way intended to be disrespectful to them.

Personally, there is NO art on the planet that compares with Aikido's fluidity and economy of movement. HOWEVER, this doesnt mean that I have any bright ideas about taking on the Gracies or any sport fighter.

I do spar in my Aikido classes but again, its restricted. Look at Boxing, its restricted to its particular range, but look how amazing they are at that range, same for Judo and BJJ.

Being well rounded is very important. Being able to train realistically and powerfully means the use of rules, to stop you killing eachother.

My philosophy is that if you can win with rules, you'll never win without them.

I dont practice one of so called 'self-defence' style. Non of my teachers, from my 73 year old Aikido Sensei to the younger Grappling instructors tell of age old techniques that are 'too' deadly.

You can never know a technique is deadly until you can practice it at full power. I personally would rather techniques that I have tried against people that arent just giving me the technique, hence why the style of Aikido I do is so good, and why I just look in awe at sport fighters that put their bodies on the line to prove they are the best.

If you cant beat a skilled person in the safety of the dojo, then you cant beat them for real.

so you are you are the only mature guy here because what you say have to be truth?

you could have to fight in a self-defense situation, and self-defense is a wide concept that can be interpreted of many ways.

you say things without base.

Valencia - Venezuela.

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're getting at either. Fight, self-defense, whatever...point is, you've never encountered them, and you're basing your opinion off of your ego.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."