• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kinda... that depends on the school. My school does happen to train self defense techniques also. Naturally, they are grappling based. It's required in the curriculum and is covered in the beginner classes. half the class is geared toward self defense, the otehr toward basic bjj. Once you progress past the basic class, you are still allowed to attend it (and most of us do) so you continue to train self defense techniques.

Good to hear. I think it's very important to train for real situations. I think BJJ is an awesome groundfighting art, but it is limited. That is why so many NHB competitors cross train. So what I'm saying is that if you want to train for real situations there are some really effective MA's out there and hopefully their training methods are sound. That seems to be the problem with some of the Combat schools out there. They get lazy and just teach techniques and they don't go full contact at all. If you are going to be prepared for a real fight you'd better know how it feels to get hit. The Sport MA's have more effective training methods than most TMA's and that is the factor to consider not the techniques. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

kensai your trying to say if bruce lee was still alive he will be defeated easily? i don't think so. i see that i will have to change the world of mma. forget pro wrestling now.

falcon kick!!!

(ignore)

as for you kensai do not worry i got it figured out like i said to defeat a gracie only thing you have to do is stand them up and it's over( in seven months you will see the demise of the gracies.). thats why there where affaird of that wing cun guy. and when since they prove that there style was effective on the street when i think that idiot matt furey or some other grappler said it was not?

I'd respond, but I'm not quite sure what he said. Matt Furey said what?

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

Bruce Lee was very clear that to be a complete fighter you had to be able to grapple.

As for treebranch's last post, I agree wholeheartedly. Without knowing what its like to get hit, people are likely to freeze or panic. Combat MA's aren't the be all/end all of self defense, but those guys will not panic when hit, and are much better conditioned to fight.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

i don't think there is anything fight related that bruce didn't train in....

even the art of gumming!

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

On a side note, its amazing how hot this topic is...all it takes is a bunch of guys arguing and you get about one post per minute.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."

I think Bruce Lee was great and very intelligent person, but I think he would have only been good at his weight and would have been eaten alive by grapplers.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I'm not so sure about him getting eaten alive...he definitely had conditioning on his side. But unfortunately, we'll never know.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"There is no spoon."