• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Way before the gracies came along we had judo and other grappling arts, judo gene was cranking necks before i was born. What do think was the main reason for bjj becoming so big, almost no one knew about it but now it is wide spread, If the UFC never happened would we still be in the dark?

Where Art ends, nature begins.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grappling didn't look cool, so it wasn't in the movies. We had all the spinning kicks and such stuff and that's what looked cool to the teenagers drawn to the martial arts. Now that we are used to seeing grappling arts, grappling actually looks cool - even in movies. The change would've come but only slower. We had the Gracie In Action videos for a decade before the UFC and NHB matches had already begun before the UFC so, things were going "there" already, but UFC made it big.

An off-topic side note: it is funny how well known fakes, such as Frank Dux et. al., who claimed to have taken part in "secret" NHB tournaments, never described the tournaments having ground fighting elements, yet, after the NHB events started, we all saw how grappling ruled the rings. One more bit of evidence to support the fact that these people were fakes who never attended any "secret" NHB tournaments...

One more note, more on-topic this time: Bruce Lee trained with Gene, and one of his most prominent notions was that you have to be able to fight in ALL THE RANGES, including grappling. So, yes, it was all coming, though slowly.

I think its main reason was its effectiveness, it showed to the world that like most fight end up on the ground, if you know have to move there you have a HUGE advantage with your opponent. The effective that you don't need a strong person to defeat a larger opponent, it's just technique.

And that it has proved in street fights from its begginings in Brazil, and in NHB fights against anothers styles, and most times it has defeated others.

UFC was "da boom" for BJJ, Rorion says that he did the UFC exactly by that, to give the opportunity to the differents martial arts practicioners to fight and see which style was better, to prove it on the ring and not in theory.

I think that if UFC wouldn't appeared, BJJ wouldn't be so big like it's now...

Valencia - Venezuela.

Well, that was the major reasoning behind the UFC. The Gracies wanted a worldwide showcase for what they were doing. I probably wouldn't be nearly as into grappling as I am if it weren't for UFC

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

I think what they've done is great, but it's mostly ground fighting.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

It's a great addition to MMA. I also think it should keep evolving and bring back some of the TJJ strikes and kicks to make it more complete.

Well BJJ came from TJJ so the strikes would fit better into it. You obviously watch too much UFC dude. You are not those fighters. You are a practitioner just like all of us.

YEs, BJJ came from TJJ, but BJJ like i was discuting with shotokanwarrior today, it was adapted, modified by the Gracies, they modified some techniques so they could be used by a weak person, and they didn't take some aspects of TJJ that aren't useful.

BJJ evolutions by itself, TJJ doesn't.

and i do see many UFC, Pride, etc because i like them, but i don't know why you say that i believe that i am a UFC fighter?

Valencia - Venezuela.