• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Books

Anando

Anando, there is a couple of books written by Masutatsu Oyama that my Hanshi has let me borrow. I think they were published in '73. The first book is called "This is Karate" and the second book is "Advanced Karate". They are large hard back books that are very informative about many techniques, especially the first one for beginners. I know you can find them on Amazon, they are expensive however. A good used one runs around 100.00 dollars (US). I believe there is even a mint condition one signed by Oyama himself for 2400.00 if you want to go all out. :) Ask around and see if your Sensei or other students may have these books to take a look at. I was lucky that my Hanshi has a great collection of books for me to borrow. Hope this helps you out.

Greg

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As he's the head of the organisation I belong to, I have to recommend this book by Aidan Trimble ;) Karate Kata Applications. In fact, get all of Aidan's books! :D

I also like the Best Karate series by Nakayama and Karate-Do Kyohan and Karate-Do Nyumon by Funakoshi are also great books, as is the book of the life story of Funakoshi (Karate-Do: My Way Of Life).

Beyond The Black Belt by G. Purdue is a though-provoking read, as is Five Years, One Kata. Sorry, I can't remember the author of that one and I've lent it to my sensei, so I can't go and check!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!