• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Karate effective when used as self-defense ?

Anando

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've posted on this subject before in regards to karate's effectiveness at self defense. I've been a defender of it in the past, but in recent months I've been having my eyes opened to it's effectiveness. In my experience, I've yet to see a karate practitioner take something they've learned in class an apply it effectively; myself included. Even down to the basic blocks and punches, they are being taught and performed incorrectly. Karate is being made too complicated, and too many people are placing techniques into the system that are based on poor science, lack of real world testing, and perhaps in many cases just flat-out ignorance. How many of us openly question our instructor on the validity of a technique being taught? Few, I'd wager. To do so would be considered disrespectful, rude and to some may virge on blasphemy. No, you do what you're instructor tells you to do because they know better. And since you're a good student, you're going to promote these techniques to your classmates and others that you train with. But you say, it *does* work! Well I say, prove it! Let me thow a right cross right at your jaw, full speed, full power and I want you to utilize your rising block then counter with a reverse punch. But beware, I'm gonna follow it up with another technique, and another and another until you stop me. We'll see whose in more pain after it's all over and what really works, or at least what doesn't.

I've yet to see a karate practitioner take something they've learned in class an apply it effectively; myself included.

I dont want to offend you, but maybe you and these other karate practicioners you have been watching arnt very good at karate.

Let me thow a right cross right at your jaw, full speed, full power and I want you to utilize your rising block then counter with a reverse punch. But beware, I'm gonna follow it up with another technique, and another and another until you stop me. We'll see whose in more pain after it's all over and what really works, or at least what doesn't.

Ok, firstly, what makes you think that the person you are throwing the punch at is going to JUST block and try to do a reverse punch?

Whats stoping them from "folluwing up" with other techniques?

Also i would not list the rising block has one of the best karate techniques to block a cross.

It has its uses, but blocking straight punches to the face is usually not one of them. Im not saying it cant be used, because with the correct footwork and understanding of the technique it is quiet simple.

Im not sure about your post but maybe your angry about some bad experiances in karate, and feel you need to take it out on the karate community.

Anando, dont be discouraged by people, do what YOU want to do, if its karate so be it, if its something else, then go for it.

Respectfully,

Cross :karate:

I'm quite sure it would help in a street fight, and a boxer's advantage over a karateka/most martial artists is speed and strength, but the martial artist is definitely the more skilled fighter. A lot of martial artists lose fights on the streets because they think by going to a few classes means they're ready for the streets and also a big reason is a martial artist uses all the traditional stances and moves on the streets, which is not right most of the time because for a street fight you should only use the moves your comfortable try to limit traditional stances and moves.

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

Very true Kakarotto.

Most martial artists should find also that once they understand the stances and techniques they will adapt them and only use certain parts of the technique depending on the situation.

I really think intensity you put into trainning is going to dictate the results. boxers are known for having intense workout if you do the same as karateka your mind will be ready to defend.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

To my regret one of my trainers told me that a good boxer may be able to esily defeat a 1grade Dan Karate fighter.

Take two equal persons one with 10 years karate experience, the other with 10 years boxing, and I'd say the karate-ka would prevail most every time. Why? Kicks, joint locks, pressure points, superior conditioning.

(I'm assuming the karate person has taken a traditional style and not a sports style)

Maybe the question should be the other way around; What is effective for self-defense?

If you ask it this way, the answer would be a self-defense course where you don't only learn how to get out of a fight but also how you don't get into a fight. IOW there is a lot of things that are involved in self-defense that are not taught in karate.

Furthermore the sparring thing in karate is a lot different from the normal self-defense situation (for example when you are in a crowded bar where you can't use those flashy mawashi-geris).

Off course in the katas there are a lot of useful applications, but that's also the problem; there are so many and when it comes to self-defense it is better to rely on a few techniques that you have trained many times, because otherwise it just might not work out the way you thought.

So if your main goal in karate is self-defense I have to say you are in the wrong place.

René

is isn't how effective the style is,

it's how effective the person is.

let's say there is one ultimate martial art.

if you're bad at it, you're gonna get hurt.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."