• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is Karate effective when used as self-defense ?

Anando

Hello,

I am doing Karate for a few months and I am wondering whether someone is able to tell me if I could apply Karate as a self-defense in real life. To my regret one of my trainers told me that a good boxer may be able to esily defeat a 1grade Dan Karate fighter. What do you think about it and is Karate as a martial art effecitve and applicable in real life ?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really depends on the teachings of the style. The one I take, Yoshukai, deals with a great deal of Self-Defense put in practical street application. It also depends on the situation. If a karate student/black belt is trying to straight out fight with a boxer, it would depend a lot on the two individuals.

But to answer your question, yes, you can apply karate to real life Self Defense. Congradulations on starting karate by the way!

-WolvesOfThunder

I used to keep an open mind, but my brains kept falling out.

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but there is no bullet-proof style. By that I mean that anyone in any style can be beaten given the right time and circumstances. I will say that karate, my chosen art as well, is as good as any other art at self-defense. It mostly depends on the practitioner as to the effectiveness.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Wow. I sure hope so. Other wise what are we spending so much time training for? Yes boxers can have an advantage in a street fight, but that does not mean that as a karate practitioner you're helpless. Your katas are full of moves that deal with every kind of attack (except guns).

More Practice

Is karate effective when used as a self defense?

YES

Have patience and learn as much as possible. People get frustrated with traditional karate/martial arts because they want instant gratification and want to be able to "hurt people" right off the bat. That's not what karate is about. It teaches many things, including self defense.

shotokanwarrior Is right. Karate takes a long time to learn. It's said that karate takes a life time to learn. Think about it. Ten kyu ranks and ten dan ranks. I've heard the shodan means the begining. Wow first dan and it's the begining.

Stick with it. You'll find street applications.

More Practice