• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street effective kicks

Remember, the head controls the body. Take out the head, and the body will fall.

We rely on our legs to stand. If you kick someone in the head they *might* fall over if you hit them hard enough(remembering the head is a very small target). But hit a person in the knee and there is more of a chance they will go down, not to mention its alot harder to block/grab a kick that is coming to your legs.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, the head controls the body

I do not know about others, but I have been trained that my legs control my body.

I still feel that lower kicks tend to be more effective. Thus far this has not gotten the crap beat out of me. For the record, I can kick well over most folks head. But as cross has pointed out, the head is a much smaller target then other body parts.

Just my copper---Joshua

There are no limits.

he's right - the head controls the body. The hips do also. However, he's thought process is flawed. Wherever the head goes, the body will follow. If I have CONTROL of your head, I can jerk you around, anywhere I want to, as your body will follow your head. If I don't have control, your equilibrium will take over and you will re balance yourself. Technically, he's right, but practically, what he's saying does not apply here.

If I throw a left roundhouse to your head, your head will be knocked to your left and your budy may stumble in that direction. BUT, that's only one kick, not constant pressure or control, so you regain your balance.

That being said, the legs don't control the body (as someone said) - they are responsible for mobility. If I take out your legs, you will not be mobile, making you an easier target.

one person mentioned that the head was a smaller target (cross, I think) and then mentioned kicking the knee instead - the knee is a smaller target than the head. Size isn't the factor - it's the mobility. I can move my head faster than I can my knee, so my head is harder to hit. Also, my knee is connecting my leg and thigh, so even if I miss, I have a better chance of hitting you somewhere

Control their spine and you control their balance. Everything comes from the spine and the spine is your center.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Question = why do we train relentlessly to kick high?

Answer = because it works.

Conditional - it works when executed properly, as with anything else. But, when kicking to the head, you must place greater emphasis on timing and distancing.

Remember, the head controls the body. Take out the head, and the body will fall.

I addressed this in my previous post

Taking into account that the leg is longer and stronger than the arm, it all make sense to stick a kick in your attacker's face.

the leg is also slower , and raising it to head level leaves you momentarily off balanced... that moment can be capitalized on. There are ups and downs to everything.

And in reply to this business of catching a kick, I don't know about you, but the only person I've seen stop a full-on turning/roundhouse kick to the face is superman. And even he had a problem. Next time you're in class, ask a skilled kicked to stick his foot in your face. E-mail me in 100 years when you actually manage to catch his foot. :karate:

Catching a kick isn't that hard. And, catching the kick isn't necessary to finishing the technique. it only helps, as you retain control of your opponent. The mistake is sounds like you are making (you pointed out the foot) is the same mistake people make about catching punches - you will not catch a person's fist. you likely won't catch their foot either. BUT, you can catch at the arm, and the leg as well. Take for example, the roundhouse. I'm not going to catch the foot -

1. it's too small of a target to worry about trying to catch

2. once I have it, I'm still far away from you

When you kick, I step into you. That alone will offbalance you if I step in deep enough. Also, it lessens the damage that I may take, as I am cutting your range down - less velocity, smaller arc, etc. Now, I catch the leg, and from there sweep your base leg.

Like I said, ups and downs to everything.

• 3 weeks later...

even if someone is a master and kicking someones head off, such a high kick puts you in an unbalanced disadvantageous situation. if you miss, or dont finish him, or whatever, bad things can happen. and let me tell you, a grappler who has a foot flying at his head will duck it and then take the guy down, and out.

come to think of it, all kicks put you at somewhat of a disadvantage in some ways- guess the power and range is a tradeoff for the vulnerability.

a broken arm throws no punches

I've never been in a life-death situation, but i remember fighting a lot as a child. Though I didn't have MA training I was quite succesful. The kick I loved more was a straight one to the shin. It always worked. And it was never blocked. And I was always the one left standing, while the oponent was crwaling in pain.

I know, you'll tell me you can condition the shins. Still, a very strong blow, with the "proper" shoes can be quite unpleasant. I've seen legs fractured that way, so I do trust the kick.

• 2 weeks later...

I know what a stomp kick is. I want to meet the person who can block one of those, because they are in for a treat. Ninjitsu was created to mess up Armoured Samurai. The ninja were in cloth and tabi boots, they could kill a armoured samurai with one well placed stomp kick to the solar plexus. It has plenty of power, especially if you use your arms to generate momentum. Roundhouses are pretty and fantastic when you are sparring for points. But in real life.. if you miss your roundhouse you are gonna be screwed because your leg is out there and your opponent is coming straight for ya.

Take a deep breath. Feel your feet gripping the ground. Feel the blood move through your body. Feel your heart beat like a drum. It is amazing what calm and collectiveness can do for you.

I tell you what - next time you visit the states, or I visit CA, we're gonna spar - I promise you'll have repsect for the roundhouse kick when it's done.

As far as it being great for point sparring, tell that to all of us thai boxers, nmma fighters, etc. who use it effectively on a regular basis.

Don't kick any higher than you can shoot your leg out and hold it for a very long time without any aid or warmup. This means that you have to by dynamically flexible, and have good muscles. If you have to warm up before you start throwing head kicks, or you have the slightest discomfot doing them - don't think you can pull them off in a real fight.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."