• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street effective kicks

I agree with Cross about the sidekick being second fastest only to the front kick. Maybe not for everyone, but for me it is.

And as a few people have said, its rather hard to say what the most effective kicks would be in a streetfight. It all depends on the situation, whats open, how many opponents, all that good stuff. But, I would also agree if i had to pick, then the main 3 kicks would be the way to go, and mostly below the chest. I wouldn't be throwing anything fancy unless I was just playing with my opponent.

~BladeLee~

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider anyone attacking me for no reason a life and death situation. If a wild animal were to attack me then I'd get a huge adrenaline dump. Like I said I can stay pretty calm in hairy situations. Am I scared sure, that's normal. Do I freeze? No.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

i think weve all forgotten the point of this post. the question was what are the kicks that are effective on the street. presumably, these are the ones youd practice and get good at so to be ready for that street situation. that is why we answere which types would work, and which wouldnt. the thing really had nothing to do with our psychological mindsets- someone start a post about that. the question is which kicks will actually work on the street- i answered, a few others did... anyone else want to just answer the question?

a broken arm throws no punches

Low kicks are safer.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

• 4 weeks later...

I always find it interesting when people refer to 'real' confrontations as 'in the street.'

Confrontations come in all forms and under a variety of circumstances, with no two ever being even remotely similar, and rarely in the same place. Learning how to kick in a variety of ways can come in handy, if an opportunity or opening arises, but the more basic kicks offer the largest chance of being implemented.

Front kicks, side kicks, sweeps, stomps, and knees are quick and simple, and when it comes right down to it... simplicity is the key, for it offers the most direct route to ending the confrontation.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

'The street' has become a synonym for any real fight, not just fights that literally take place in a street. When people talk about street fighting that usualling includes bar fights etc.

I've only ever used front kicks and roundhouse kicks in real fights, and nearly always below the waist. I kicked someone in the kidneys once but that's the highest I've gone in real life.

I've found that if you kick someone's legs (knees or lower) a few times, they get really p***ed and charge you. Then you just sidestep and trip them over.

Front kick to the groin is, of course, unrivaled for inducing pain :D But if your opponent is remotely skilled he will block it.

Finally, an axe kick to a floored opponent is pretty damn effective.

shotokan karate nidan

jujitsu shodan

kendo shodan

I'd look to stomp a foot and break it (if the person isn't wearing boots) or take out the knee.

Either one will undoubtedly stop your attacker (unless he's got a gun, in which case you're screwed anyway).

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

Question = why do we train relentlessly to kick high?

Answer = because it works.

It makes me laugh when people say that high kicks (such as turning kick) are useless in the street. The Korean army has used kicks to high targets (head, face, neck) for years during war and conflict. And they worked, often causing fatality.

You have to look at your own abilities and preferences. If you train enough, and you are *honestly* capable of kicking some 6' bloke's teeth out with your foot, then by all means use your high kicks. If you don't feel safe, then use low kicks. Or resort to the Indiana Jones school of fighting and shoot the bastard.

At the end of the day, in answer to the original question, high kicks do work. It's only people who can't kick above their waste who say that kicks to the head, face and neck are pointless. Remember, the head controls the body. Take out the head, and the body will fall. Taking into account that the leg is longer and stronger than the arm, it all make sense to stick a kick in your attacker's face.

And in reply to this business of catching a kick, I don't know about you, but the only person I've seen stop a full-on turning/roundhouse kick to the face is superman. And even he had a problem. Next time you're in class, ask a skilled kicked to stick his foot in your face. E-mail me in 100 years when you actually manage to catch his foot. :karate:

You more you sweat in training, the less you bleed on the battlefield...

well, i would argue that it works for you because you train them so hard.

most of the time, the argument is that you don't need to kick to the head.

if you can kick to head and can do it effectively and efficiently and quickly then excellent.

that's one more weapon available to you.

if you can't then there isn't a need for you to go and train to do so (although it wouldn't hurt...)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."