• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street effective kicks

side kicks take a while to throw compared to other kicks

Really? I find side kicks to be second only in speed to the front kick.

If you feint or strike to the face you can push the side kick low and take them in the stomach, groin, knee, or front of thigh. This can be used to distract, push them away, or hurt them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the step over step behind sidekick, step behind side kick, and the step over turning kick are really cool for deceptive street kicking. I might even do a skip kick just to lay into them.

I was just reading backwards and I feel my TKD training would aide me on the street. I would rather be on the street with TKD skills than with nothing at all. You can have the best art in the world but if you can't use the move then it's useless. TKD is a rather simple art compared to Kung Fu etc. but I find it easier to use since I am not working with a bunch of fancy stuff. If your attacker is not trained in a martial art then chances are they won't know whats coming. I hit a guy once with a step over step behind sidekick once. We were just in a minor scuffle not a life or death situation but he never trained in the art. He said he thought I was just charging to close the distance to punch him and he stopped to swing back at me. He got kicked right in the stomach that collapsed him on the spot. It's irrelevant that I decide which kicks I should use in a street brawl. When I go to the higher source to attack the person whatever comes out comes out. My instant reaction would probably be smash them in the nuts grab their hair and knee them in the face.

I have a question for all of you street fighter strategists and fancy kickers. Have you ever been in a REAL, hard core street fight? I've been in 2 good ones off the top of my head and I barely remember anything during the fight. Luckily for me my training was ingrained enough to do justice. I don't recall ever throwing a kick at all and I certainly don't remember being rational enough to plan a strategy for winning. This strategy talk is tournament fantasy gone too far. Every battlefield soldier knows that once the shootng starts plans tend to go out the window. Actual street combat is too fluid to get caught up in details. This is just my opinion. And, in case you're wondering, I can certainly throw around these military comparisons. I was with the 1st Infantry Division during Desert Storm, so I know a little about fighting and combat away from the martial arts.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

it's been shown that once your heart rate goes over 120, everything goes out the window except what's ingrained into your muscle memory. Those techniques that are second nature are the ones you will use. That said, if kicks are ingrained in you, you'll use them - I've used a roundhouse kick in a fight before. I agree with what you said about planning though - that tends to be null and void.

Well if you're too scared to fight run. My heart rate never goes that high. I keep pretty calm in hairy situations. I'm the product of being the youngest of 3 boys that would beat my rear everyday until I was big enough to do them damage. Fansy kicks are harder to pull off when you have adrenaline pumping through your body. A low kick is much easier to make work in a hairy situation. Stomp kicks are easy and really brutal.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Treebranch, have you ever been in an honest to goodness life or death situation? It doesn't necessarily have to do with fighting. It is a proven scientific fact that when adrenal dump occurs, blood is re-routed to the larger muscles in preparation for "fight or flight". The brain is deprived of much of it's normal blood flow. The reason that any "fancy kick" or precise technique is difficult is because fine motor movement goes out the window when the brain is deprived of blood/ oxygen. Also, I believe that it is preferable to run from a life or death situation than stand and fight. If you're alone and have an avenue of escape you should take it. The only reason to stay and fight would be if you couldn't get away. Anything else is just ego and that's a really stupid reason to get yourself killed. Sorry, I got side-tracked from the original post.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I would at least try to pull them off.

Even if someone was holding a knife to your throat? and if the kick missed you would be killed?

Cummon, Self Defence is about surviving, not trying to look fancy.

I bet you would blow kisses to the crowd after you did your tripple spinning snap flip flying round kick, to right?? hahaha