• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street effective kicks

If the weight is mostly on the back leg you are actually quite mobile side to side and front, but not back.

exactly - you're only really mobile to one side, not both. I have a better idea of where you'll go.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the weight is mostly on the back leg you are actually quite mobile side to side and front, but not back.

exactly - you're only really mobile to one side, not both. I have a better idea of where you'll go.

You guys ever hear of a crossover step? Can be done off either foot to almost any direction on the clock. Only thing you can't do is step straight through your other leg. It's also deceptive- positions you for a twist, back kick, reversing motion, redirection or angling maneuvers. And the foot maneuver itself can be used as either a check or as a weapon.

'Course, you could allways just hop any direction you want, then go ahead and kick.

Freedom isn't free!

Actually you misunderstood me you can go to the left or to the right from that position and our stances change the leading foot all the time. Also we have a stance called hira that doesn't have a leading foot so I know where your attack is coming from. I can also go forward which you left out. Forward to the left or to the right. That's what I meant. So I could leave a nice target for you and move in as you take it. I still feel having the majority of your weight on the real leg is better, but that's my opinion.

Yes, I forgot the cross step which is very useful, but only as a transition.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

You guys ever hear of a crossover step? Can be done off either foot to almost any direction on the clock. Only thing you can't do is step straight through your other leg. It's also deceptive- positions you for a twist, back kick, reversing motion, redirection or angling maneuvers. And the foot maneuver itself can be used as either a check or as a weapon.

'Course, you could allways just hop any direction you want, then go ahead and kick.

Is this anything like the cross/scissors stance or the stealing step? If so, you have to be careful when doing it and pay close attention to range. Crossing your feet when close to a grappler is bad, as you are begging him to take you down.

Actually you misunderstood me you can go to the left or to the right from that position and our stances change the leading foot all the time. Also we have a stance called hira that doesn't have a leading foot so I know where your attack is coming from. I can also go forward which you left out. Forward to the left or to the right. That's what I meant. So I could leave a nice target for you and move in as you take it. I still feel having the majority of your weight on the real leg is better, but that's my opinion.

Yes, I forgot the cross step which is very useful, but only as a transition.

I didn't leave out forward - I was thinking that would be implied. If you go either straight forward, or forward and offline, I still know the direction you will go. Even if there is no lead foot, you will still be slower when you move in the direction of the weighted foot, because you have to take the weight off, unless you cross your legs, which is bad for you.

Is this anything like the cross/scissors stance or the stealing step? If so, you have to be careful when doing it and pay close attention to range. Crossing your feet when close to a grappler is bad, as you are begging him to take you down.

Sort of. It is a foot maneuver, not a stance (though it can stop in or transition to a stance). It is very fast, and your purpose in using it would be to keep him from closing the distance and/or to get a dominant angle or position yourself. I agree that if you do it wrong, or let him get too close, you could be in trouble. But even in close the maneuver can be useful. It can step through into a forward or reverse bow, giving stability and a solid platform to absorb his force if necessary. You can twist out, redirecting his energy and adding power to your counter. The wider step gives you room to bring a knee into play as you bait him in and steal his momentum. We could play 'what if' here all day. In the end, it's a chess game where timeing is as important as technique, power and speed. If I let a grappler get too close (crossed or not), and blow my counter, I'm going to end up playing his game any way. I've sparred hard contact with ground option against grapplers, and one thing you learn is that nothing is certain, from either side. They don't allways get the takedown, your fancy defenses don't allways work, and usually it's just butt ugly, with the ugliest butt comeing out on top.

Any how, my point wasn't to take anything away from the grapplers. I just wanted to point out something you guys had apparently overlooked.

And remember, even if it goes wrong for you- "A bad day training is better than a good day at the golf course." :P

Freedom isn't free!

Well SevenStar a cross step isn't really a stance, it's a transition and an avoidance. It wouldn't be my first choice. Just a question, Have you ever tried jumping out of the way? You seem to have much more experience with groundfighters than I do.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"