• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Street effective kicks

What do you all think are the most effective kicks for a self defence situation?

Feel free to list the actual kick and the target.

I find that kicks below the waist usually work best. Hit the high targets with your high weapons (hands). And the low targets with your low weapons (feet).

Many people think that the mauy thai style round kick is most effective. Although it works great if you can do it properly, I would say that front and side kicks are generally better because they are linear, powerful and you have less chance of injury using these.

Targets for the kicks would be:

Thigh, knee, groin. (If you want to kick higher then: sternum and head.)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a Linear kick isn't going to be more powerfull than a Muay Thai round hoyse kick, for me, it's the best kick you can give, in the leg (low kick), in the chest, or in the head, it is devastating.

Valencia - Venezuela.

What do you all think are the most effective kicks for a self defence situation?

All three basic front kicks (straight, side and roundhouse) are extremely useful. Generaly, keep them low- in a fight the abdomen is about as high as I'll go. If you want to kick his head, take out the knees then take the head when it comes down. Snaps are best when exchanging strikes as they are quicker and leave you less exposed to counter tactics. Thrusts work good to finish or incapacitate him after you've set him up. And if you consider knee strikes to be kicks (as I do), they are included here. Powerful, quick, devastating, and as they are thrown in close they are hard to see comeing.

Back kicks, hooks, crescents, stomps, scrapes, shovels, scoops, axe kicks..., all are important and useful. But you asked about the most effective, so I went with the big three.

Freedom isn't free!

yeah... the good old nut kick.

as to headkicks: a good hit to the head can certainly knock out an opponent, but it depends on what you are wearing an whether you can perform such a kick without having warmed up a bit. as for me, i dont walk around in my dobok outside the dojang.

furthermore i think the targets are more important than the technique, unless its not well performed so it can be blocked/countered easily.

Venezolano said:

a Linear kick isn't going to be more powerfull than a Muay Thai round hoyse kick, for me, it's the best kick you can give, in the leg (low kick), in the chest, or in the head, it is devastating.

Maybe a linear or front kick as you've been taught isn't powerful, but a stomp kick to the hip, groin, thigh, chest is brutal and will throw them to the ground. Basically, what kick would you use to kick a door down? Do that to a person and they are done. The trick is not to telegraph the kick and drive the heel throw the person. Stomp kicks can be done at extremely close range. It's one of the safest kicks to do because your back is straight and you are very balanced. :)

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Steer clear of anyone advising Muay Thai kicks anywhere above the waist on the street. From what I've seen the Muay Thai kick is very straight legged and swung into the target. That is very telegraphed, quick but telegraphed. And it may work against a scrub. But most people will catch the leg in the air, most of the myth of the kicks power comes from the fact that most Kickboxing or Muay Thai matches dont allow grappling and or takedowns. For the street wait for your opportunity for a sidekick to the body, it is your strongest kick and will catch experienced and inexperienced alike.

*Damn I'm Pretty*

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.

LOL, and like you're taught is very powerfull right? all your kung fu stuff... i see.. i hasn't seen many KO'd in K-1 for example with that kind of kick.. with a round house kick you have all the power of your hip, so you can't compare them.

Valencia - Venezuela.

I disagree that the side kick is the strongest kick. Think of when you are at the gym pressing weight with your legs. A stomp kick with all your weight behind is much stronger and safer than a sidekick.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"