• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think one of the things you have to decide is, do you want a art that is close-in fighting or a art that keeps your attacker away from you. I study Ryukyu Kempo. This is a japanese style. We work a lot of grappling, take downs, pressure points and very heavy into kata. These are great for close-in fighting. Now if you are not comfortable with close-in fighting you would need to look at a TKD style. The TKD style is very strong in kicking which is very good at keeping your attacker away from you. What you will need to do is go and check out several different schools and styles and see what is for you. As for workout, you can make any style as hard a workout as you want. It is up to you

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

karate good because of the punches if you move in close and throw nothing but punches the tkd person can't kick and you know what that means can't win.

falcon kick!!!

Not to knock TKD, but all the little video clips that I have seen, the guys are doing jumping side kicks, and round-house kicks, and other flashy ones like that... they all have their hands down... I just don't see the practical application of it. I'd be staying in close to them so they couldn't use their legs, then what would they do?

Adam

Traditional Japanese Goju Ryu Karate

Mike Lasci's Northern Martial Arts Centre

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

Gee I don’t know?

I guess ill have to fall back on using my:

Knees, forefist, back fist, side fist, under fist, long fist, middle knuckle fist, fore-knuckle fist, thumb knuckle fist, knife hand, reverse knife hand, upset fingertip, angle fingertip, flat fingertip, straight fingertip, thumb, forefinger, inner forearm, outer forearm, back forearm, under forearm, press finger, finger belly, elbows, finger pincers, bear hand, open fist, forehead, occiput, back hand, arc-hand, palm, thumb ridge, bow wrist, base of knife hand or press finger

to attack you, then again I could always step to your blind side or just step back and kick ya. :)

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

LOL.. well then, I guess we'd have quite the fight on our hands!! :lol:

Adam

LOL.. well then, I guess we'd have quite the fight on our hands!! :lol:

Yeh you and me would show those Matrix guys a few tricks. :P

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Yeh you and me would show those Matrix guys a few tricks. :P

Ya, minus the wires and 5000 cameras at different angles!! :P

Adam

Knees, forefist, back fist, side fist, under fist, long fist, middle knuckle fist, fore-knuckle fist, thumb knuckle fist, knife hand, reverse knife hand, upset fingertip, angle fingertip, flat fingertip, straight fingertip, thumb, forefinger, inner forearm, outer forearm, back forearm, under forearm, press finger, finger belly, elbows, finger pincers, bear hand, open fist, forehead, occiput, back hand, arc-hand, palm, thumb ridge, bow wrist, base of knife hand or press finger

Not trying to be disrespectful, but how come I never see these in any TKD tournament, sparring or any other video that I watch? Am I just so darn unlucky in choosing TKD videos or what? I mean, yes they seem to be in the basic techniques, but never in the actual fighting, why is that?

I think one of the things you have to decide is, do you want a art that is close-in fighting or a art that keeps your attacker away from you. I study Ryukyu Kempo. This is a japanese style. We work a lot of grappling, take downs, pressure points and very heavy into kata. These are great for close-in fighting. Now if you are not comfortable with close-in fighting you would need to look at a TKD style. The TKD style is very strong in kicking which is very good at keeping your attacker away from you. What you will need to do is go and check out several different schools and styles and see what is for you. As for workout, you can make any style as hard a workout as you want. It is up to you

Technically, Ryukyu Kempo would be Okinawan, as they are the Ryukyu islands. But then again, Okinawa = karate. Good points though.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/