• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I don't buy into the "it's the person that makes the martial art" myth. I believe that it is a combination of training, tactics and technique as well as talent. Some martial arts rely more on talent to be effective. I prefer martial arts that rely on good technique, tactics and training methods.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't believe no one called Jiggy 9 on his statement that samurai used karate. Argh!!! Karate was never taught to samurai. They practiced kenjitsu and some jujitsu.

Also as to best/superior arts... :argue: I have known MT guys who were total badasses and others who were pushovers and I have known TKD people who were badasses. I believe that MT produces more capable fighters than TKD and other arts as a result of the training regimen not the art itself. The same as most of the competitive wrestlers I know can hold their own against virtually any other MA- their training regimen.

Did you ever stop and think why "The greatest" Ali did TKD?? This is "TKD vs. Karate". These two martial arts are excellent for fundamentals.

I believe you have to go to class to master the basics/fundamentals of fighting and to learn the different punches /kicks/grappling/throws and how to apply them in various situations etc. There is no substitute for sparring full contact ... anything goes because you can be creative and combine moves from different styles.

As far as a trainning regiment...in martial arts, you need to include some endurance and strengh training as well as reflex training when youre not in the dojo/class. All mainstream martial arts have inherent limitations ... in tkd you cant kick below the belt or grab and in other arts, they are only preoccupied with a certain "way" of attack/defense so it is up to you to blend everything together.

Don't underestimate any style because your ignorance may someday get you when you least expect it.

I did write a message about the samurai doing jiujitsu instead of karate but the message didn't seem to want to come up, it was too late at night, and i really couldn't have been bothered typing the whole thing again.

Ah well, at least someone else picked it up.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

No need to apologize Jiggy. Just an opportunity to learn. Samurai practiced sword arts and jujitsu which was originally taught because of it's effectiveness against armored opponents. Hard to punch a guy in armor but if he has enough flexibility in the joints to move, he can be broken at that point. Hence armbars, leg locks, etc.

Karate was passed down(according to popular folk convention) amongst the peasant class becuase they were barred from weapon ownership.

• 1 year later...
id prefer karate over tkd. shotokan karate is what i do and iv beaten a tkdist at our local tkd club. karate is ment for self defense alot more than tkd. tkd has to many flashy kicks that wont work in the street. they only work in the ring.

"When I fight, I fight with my heart,and soul. My heart, and soul is Shotokan Karate."

Shotokan_fighters creed

"karate has to come natural in a fight, if you have to think about using karate in a fight, you will loose the fight"

3rd kyu brown belt - shotokan karate

thaiboxerken said:

I don't buy into the "it's the person that makes the martial art" myth. I believe that it is a combination of training, tactics and technique as well as talent. Some martial arts rely more on talent to be effective. I prefer martial arts that rely on good technique, tactics and training methods.

I agree and disagree with your statement. I agree good technique, tactics and training are essential to any MA. The only thing is some people will be very proficient in an Art but never be a great fighter. Great fighters like great basketball players have a greater propensity and innate talent that is already there. Some people have greater desire, but will never be as good as those prodigies. Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but very few. This fact never stopped me from training. :D

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"