• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know little about Karate, but I know something about TKD. Can someone tell me what Karate is about? Would it be wiser to go into Karate or TKD? TKD = Korea, Karate = Japan. TKD is known for its rapid high kicks and spinning kicks, what is Karate known for?

Thx! :grin:

Do unto others, as they done to you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i know absolutely nothin about TKD, but karate is a more rounded art that concentrates on every aspect of the martial arts rather than just the kicks. it a combination of punches kicks holds and throws, and shotokan is a strong form where one of the main aspects is "one hit, one kill!". by saying that karate is more rounded, i dont mean to be offensive to you.

hope this helps.

ste. :karate:

"Sssshhhhhhhh.... i'm sleeping."

Stephen Winter,

7th Kyu, Shotokan Karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools (UK)

Kata is to karate what the side kick is to TKD. Karate is very kata heavy and can be kinda beneficial if u concentrate heavily on the bunkai (kata application in fighting scenarios).

I recently took up Zen Do Kai again (which is a freestyle martial art with strong links to karate) and there is one kata we have to learn, as beginners, called Iron Horse - which is fun enough but what was good about the class is that each move was explained and the various applications of each move were shown to us.

I would say that karate is fairly 'traditional' emphasising rigid blocks and 'out of date' stances. No offense to anyone.

I don't think i could do pure karate or pure tkd. Kyokushin or Shotokan karate would be good to take up, but if u don't have these styles of karate then just go and learn tkd.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

Where as karate is well rounded,Taekwondo is less rounded but works on things in more focus.Shotokan karate is the strongest form of karate(in my mind) due to the use of hips for power and deep stances which make a better foundation.TKD vs Karate, Well I think that its a draw.

C Ya

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

Moobrack is correct

If you want to learn more about karate, feel free to email me - I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have

Hope this helps

Tobias

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

The Shotokan karate section is a good place to find out things like this. I differ from those in Shotokan saying Shi-to Ryu is better because of the polishing that is involved. We are kata heavy but Kata is what helps you with balance in Kumite(fighting). Shotokan is all power, while other styles have different emphasis. Shi-to Ryu is speed and power. Goju-Ryu is tension and relaxation. Wado-Ryu is fluidity. These four styles are the main styles around the world and recognized by the WKF(World Karate Federation). Email anyone in the Karate section and we will be happy to reply.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Well, I do TKD so I'll put in my two cents. TKD does focus on kicks but we also do sweeps, throws, hand tech's, knee's, elbows and all the other fun stuff. People only see the kicks 'cause that's what gets used in Olympic WTF sparring (continuous full contact point accumulation much like Olympic boxing). ITF as I understand it is point sparring (set, score a point, reset) but they allow hands to the face.

Now to compare with the only Karate I've seen (Shotokan) I'd say they are more rooted/stable/strong where as we are more flowing/agile/quick. It's a one hit one kill approach vs a move and hit many times philosophy. This is a broad generalization. Shotokan people can be really fast and TKD people can hit really hard, all depends on the individual.

Both are good styles, both have the potential to knock someone on their keester in short order.

[ This Message was edited by: niel0092 on 2001-11-08 20:35 ]

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare