• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Hidden Techniques in Kata

kule_guy17

why practice the grappling techniques though kata? why not practice them on partners? i'm not sure how realistic or effective practicing them in the air would be.

We do. The Monday and Wednesday BB classes are pretty much devoted to oyo training. In Bawl'mer we did the same thing in Wednesday night BB classes. It is great fun, and very enlightening.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"why practice the grappling techniques though kata? why not practice them on partners? i'm not sure how realistic or effective practicing them in the air would be."

KATA was a sort of text book , it kept the movements known in a time when many did not write. The movements are interteded differantly by each style. To practice the KATA is to train in a traditional manner. Of course the techniques need to be trained with resistance.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

The way I've always seen it, hyungs/katas are really more to allow your body to learn and become accustomed to what you would do in sparring or a real life situation.

My guess is that nobody went right into partner work on day one. You get taught moves to the air, from, grips to kicks, and then practice with partners to better the technique.

Hyungs & katas allow you to learn to flow multiple techniques together.