• advertisement_alt

The Hidden Techniques in Kata

kule_guy17

That didn't take long..

"Barefoot Zen: The Shaolin Roots of Kung Fu and Karate." by Nathan Johnson

I have to check that one out myself. :wink:

Another great book on the Tekki Kata Bunkai is

Bunkai Secrets of the Karate Kata Vol. 1 by Elmar Schmeisser

An excellet book with good photographs and explanations. It has some real good stuff in there. :brow:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been quoted. Thanks Kempocos. *L*Just kidding. There are several good points being made on this thread. Cross has a good point in that a kata can be many things on many different levels. Kata and its performance is what makes karate personal to the individual practitioner. No two people do a kata the exact same way because no two people are exactly the same. Anyway, before I go off on yet another rant, this is a good thread.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Yes it is so true that a block is a strike etc. Whenever I perform age-uke for example, I always think of this as a break. Left hand up (catching attackers wrist), pull down and right arm up, applying the age uke technique, this is the break.

Also try counter attacking with a soto-uke to a person's mid section: very painful.

I understand the idea behind the first move in kate is a block comes from Funakoshi's saying, "In karate, there is no first attack". This first "defensive" block thus upholds his teaching.

In Goju because it is such a heavily chinese influenced style of karate that many secrets exsist in it's kata for instance many of the elbow strikes are to the most unexpected places. The reson for this is all goju kata are based on striking vital points in a certain succession to acheive desired results.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

I agree that there are no secrets in kata. There are techniques in kata that are not apparent unless you know how to break down kata movements. It also depends a great deal how much knowledge of your systems techniques that you have when looking at a kata and deciphering the movements. The less knowledge you have the more basic the movements seem to be in a kata.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

"lol, my Sensei just said that there are no hidden things and secrets in karate."

I agree. many feel the way they breakdown a KATA has been a closely gaurded secret. When if you truly study the KATA and apply variuos attacks to each movement a wealth of techniques come foward.

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

• 2 weeks later...