• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jennum also was an alternate who made it to the finals without facing a single opponent, and fought a Karate stylist (Harold Howard) for the title. Neither were to be considered "grapplers".

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Warp Spider,

What else would you call throw, groundcontrol and choking other than grappling? That's the very essence of grappling - look at Gracie in Action and that's pretty much all the Gracie's did.

I wouldn't consider throws or chokes a groundfighting technique, but that's just me. I'd say joint manipulation types of moves are grappling.

Paladin - A holy beat down in the name of God!

Warp Spider,

What else would you call throw, groundcontrol and choking other than grappling? That's the very essence of grappling - look at Gracie in Action and that's pretty much all the Gracie's did.

I wouldn't consider throws or chokes a groundfighting technique, but that's just me. I'd say joint manipulation types of moves are grappling.

he said grappling not ground fighting...you do know that you dont have to be on the ground to grapple right?

Chokes and Throws are most certainly grappling.

A struggle or contest in which the participants attempt to clutch or grip each other.

A struggle for superiority or dominance.

v. grap·pled, grap·pling, grap·ples

v. tr.

To seize and hold, as with a grapple.

To seize firmly, as with the hands.

Dosent say anything about having to be on the ground.

Kodokan Judo, Budo Taijutsu teach great takedown and correct me if I'm wrong, but the armbar wasn't invented by the Gracies. I'm pretty sure that was a Judo move and we all know where Judo came from. The takedowns used in BJJ aren't particulary that impressive anyway. What's impressive is what they do once they are on the ground. If anything Greco Roman takedowns are impressive.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

If you'll note I never said anything about armbars or takedowns or mount being specific to BJJ. I asked how many traditional styles teach the strategy of takedown, attain mount, punch and armbar or choke the same way as BJJ?

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt

I guess.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"