• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Aikido, Judo, and Jujitsu

I know that Aikido and Judo come from Jujitsu, but what is it that really sets them apart. Is it better to just take Jujitsu? (would you just get everything that Aikido and Judo have to offer?) I had a brief run in with Judo and found it to be a lot of fun, and also met an Aikido BB who showed me some things from his style. I was really impressed with the gracefullness (fluidity of motion, etc.) that he had. I'm just trying to decide which of these styles is better since I will have a chance to dabble in them when I go to college (free training at the University clubs :D )

Sempai Emily

2nd Kyu-Brown Belt

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.

--- Mas. Oyama ---

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If i were you and had to choose by those 3 styles, i would choose TJJ or Judo.

Particulary i found them more realistic than Aikido. TJJ has some strikes, throws and some ground work. Judo focuses a lot in throws which are very effectives and has some ne-waza (ground work).

Aikido focuses more in joint locks, wrist locks, joint manipulations...

But, my best advice for you is that you investigate about these styles, see with more depth in what consists each, and try a class and see which you like most

Good luck! :)

Valencia - Venezuela.

You lucky bastard. I wish I would have had that at my school. I'd recommend TJJ and Judo if you can do both. If you can only do one I'd do TJJ first and then Judo.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

I'd reccomend judo first. Since he's already done some striking, judo will get him standing and ground grappling, as opposed to only standing. If you can do them at the same time though, do both.

aikido is all about locking joints and finesse and such, what i like to call an idealistic style. judo is a sort of wrestling, you could say, dealing with take downs and holds and so on. jiujitsu, traditionally, is jude only rougher (it started first) and mostly deals with the arm and take downs. the reason for this is because the samurai developed it as a way to fight someone with a sword unarmed. if anything, id recommend it- unless you can find a good brazillian jiujitsu place- they teach a more modern, and more practical wrestling style involving take downs, holds (submissions), breaks, etc. and since im on the subject- greco roman style wrestling is incredibly effective as well.

a broken arm throws no punches