• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Need help on styles and finding a new dojo in Toronto

Locutus

Hello fellow Karateka,

Sorry if this is a really long post.

I am looking to get back into Karate again after 8 years of inactivity. I was a yellow belt at a dojo that taught Japanese Goju Ryu. I was there for a year. I left the dojo because it was too expensive for me to renew my membership. I had the impression that the dojo was more concerned about money than its students. I guess that kind of turned me off from Karate, which is unfortunate.

Fast forward 8 years. I have moved to a bigger city. Have a new job. Have gainned some weight. I want to get fit again. Meet some people. And learn how to defend myself should I ever need to.

I have a few questions that I hope aren’t too far out there.

1.) I have become very stiff and since I was last in Karate. I don’t think I can kick higher than the stomach. I am somewhat out of shape and have added an extra 30 pounds since I was . I am wondering if Goju Ryu is a good style for me or if perhaps I should look for something else? I am looking for a style that mixes it up a bit and doesn’t just focus on a lot of fancy kicks, but also focuses on strikes and other methods.

2.) I have some questions about styles. I see a lot of dojos around my area that teach Shotokan, Shorin-Ryu, and Isshin-Ryu etc. How do these styles differ from Goju Ryu? Could I take whatever I learned form Goju Ryu and apply some of it in these other styles?

3.) Can anyone recommend a good Dojo in North Toronto? Perhaps one that teaches Goju Ryu or perhaps Shotokan? I am located in North York/Richmond Hill area or Toronto.

I hope to get started with Karate again in the new year. Thank you for any help or tips you can give me.

Cheers,

Locutus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings...

I don't have any specific recommendations for a dojo in north TO (I'm out Milton way myself), but I'm sure you'll find lots of places. As always, it's the school/sensei that makes a good dojo, not the particular style (IMHO).

I find Goju somewhat similar to Shotokan/Shito/etc, at least at the beginner level... Goju is hard/soft style as opposed to 'more hard' of Shotokan, whatever that means...

Anyhow, I say just go for it. Don't go for a long contract, and you can always change if you don't like a particular style.

Brett.

Shitoryu Itosukai

Tsuruoka Karate

I am currently involved in a style of japanese Goju Ryu, and have been for approximately 10 years. I train in central toronto, but I can give you a link to the organization I am involved with as the have many dojos in GTA. I would suggest looking one of them up. The organization is CMAC (classical Martial Arts Canada) And their website is....

http://www.cmac1.com/cmac.htm

check out the dojo affilates page....

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Goju and Shotokan are not even close, even in the begining. TO has a ton of great schools, take your time and you'll find what your looking for. Tsuroka's karate is in TO, check that out.

Thank for all the help. I am going to do some dojo hunting next week.

I have done some hunting on the web and I have found a dojo that are close to me

http://www.ontario.chitoryu.ca/Higashi/index.html

Now they teach Chito-Ryu, which I do not know much about. Has anyone had experience in this style.

Is it very different from Goju-Ryu?

Thanks again for the help.

I have not visited Sensei Higashi's studio yet. It's a bit busy being Christmas and all. I am thinking of going after the hectic holidays are done.

Do you know about this schoo? Have you ever met Sensei Higashi or heard of him?

I am still not sure as to which style I want train in. I am still thinking about Goju-Ryu and Shotokan as well.

But I like the fact that Sensei Higashi's dojo is closest to work and home.

I definitely want to check it out.

Sensei Higashi visited our dojo some months ago. He's very down to earth, and quite funny. he's the sort of sensei who will always find a way to make learning karate an enjoyable experience. That he also has the highest rank you can have in Chito-Ryu doesn't hurt either.

Read a book!