• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ignorance amazes me...

wonder how many times i'm gonna have to say this.

chi sau is an exercise, a game we play to test things safely.

you don't fight with chi sau.

chi sau is not fighting.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the immortal words of Chevy Chase (Spies Like Us), "We mock what we do not understand." MT is a brauler-- like an animal. I believe that he would get destroyed by someone skilled in the correct art.....

Chi sau is very much like fighting. It sure does feel like it when my opponent is kicking my *, and I'm doing everything I can to not get hit again. Why do you say it's not like fighting? It is a stand off-- frontally-- with an opponent. There are even competitions for it.....

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

yes there are chi sau competitions but in my opinion they are a bit of a joke.

1st round you defend.

2nd round you attack.

3rd round you do it 'properly'...

and from what i've seen, there remain fixed on the spot, completely omitting one of the most useful elements of wing chun which is stepping.

chi sau is a game designed to get you used to feeling how things happen and how to best react upon receiving pressure.

the idea is that after many hours doing chi sau, you will have certain reactions burned into your memory so much so that they are instinct.

then when you next receive pressure on your structure, your arms will automatically do whatever they are used to doing in order to relieve the pressure.

let's take the most basic move in wing chun.

pak sau.

if my partner did a pak on my punch during chi sau, i would normally drop the punch into tan whilst turning (and pressing forward with my other arm) in order to maintain the sticking game.

however, during sparring, if he does a pak against my punch, i would probably feed my free hand through to grab his pak sau and pull him into me whilst i advance with a punch using the same punching hand.

keeps him off my centre.

keeps me on his outside gate.

keeps his free hand away from me (unless he pivots to resist the grab... damn that exercise...)

chi sau is a game.

in a perfect game of chi su, you would roll with your partner a few times then stop because you both find that there is no gap in his structure.

in a way, you only attack during chi sau because your partner's structure has a flaw and you find yourself entering there.

(i.e his elbow shifts or he is too rigid)

just in case i've offended anyone out there

i should point out that there are many wing chun schools out there and depending on who you train with you will do chi sau differently.

here's something for you to try.

during your chi sau, suddenly pull with both hands and see what happens.

or suddenly step backwards out of the exchange.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

You are very knowledgeable DM. I am a beginner at KF, and enjoy it immensely. After all the years of HARD Karate, I am now changing to the softness of KF. Who would've thought?

The patch or crest worn by Isshinryu karateka often raises admiration and curiosity. The patch is based on a day dream Tatsuo Shimabuku had in the fifties while he was creating his karate style. This dream was the missing piece in the puzzle called Isshinryu. The patch is often incorrectly called Mizu Gami, which means 'water goddess'. Originally the Isshinryu emblem was called 'Isshinryu No Megami', which means 'Goddess of Isshinryu'. The goddess is the Goddess of Isshinryu karate and not the goddess of water.

depends on what chinese style you are planning on taking up.

depending on the region it comes from and it's age the atyle will have a very different approach on things.

the question of hard vs soft is probably the most talked about because few chinese syles are predominantly just one of these.

you can say wing chun is a 'soft' art because of the training methods and emphasis on subtle, 'gentle' moves but for every soft motion there is a hard reaction.

you will find that most of the styles are a mix of hard and soft because both ways acheive different things.

i'm a small guy and i just can't try to match people in games of brute strength.

instead i have to out-move them and use subtle shifts to dissipate force applied to me.

BUT

when it is my turn to hit, i will go in the shortest, quickest way.

the ng ying kuen is a good example of hard and soft.

there are movements associated with dragon that are mainly subtle stance shifts applied with a grab to maximise effect and there are direct, no-nonsence attacks associated with tiger.

in-between, you have crane and snake type moves that first circle to receive but go linear to strike.

(i am simplying the nature of the moves so please forgive any oversights)

the point is most chinese martial arts, particularly the newer styles are all about a good balance of hard and soft, circular and linear, internal and external.

there aren't many schools that are pure hard or pure soft.

(except maybe lee gar... but i don't think that's too easy to find)

What was this thread about? I just read through 4 pages of debate,and lost all my concentration when one of you lads, said that you praciced sau something, which means sheep in norwegian :lol

Read a book!

All makes sense to me!

Ieneku shitsulae shinakedeba nadanine des.

Jaa matta!