aefibird

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, I know I'll get a 'hammering' from my sensei when I go to training this week. He makes sure that you know you've 'stepped up a gear' when you get your black belt and really makes it a tough training session for new black belts for the first few weeks after grading.

One girl (aged 16) at my dojo who graded for black in March this year almost quit on the spot after going to training the day after grading and passing. She couldn't believe how much pressure sensei was putting on now she'd got shodan. Thankfully she didn't quit and is now ultra-determined to go for 2nd dan in the next 2 or 3 years.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Congratulations!

I have Sensei Trimble's book on kata application, sounds like you had a good test.

Tom

It was a good test, Aidan Trimble is an excellent sensei. As he's the head of my association I've trained with him quite a few times now and he always amazes me with how good his teaching and his knowledge of karate are.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Not nearly as impressive but I got my Orange/Black belt today (only 5+ more years till black).

They pushed us so hard during the warm up, I thought I was going to pass out!

I knew my katas so I got a good grade, but I really have to improve my kick height. I will keep on stretching. :-)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

I knew my katas so I got a good grade, but I really have to improve my kick height. I will keep on stretching. :-)

The shorin I've trained in and have seen doesn't have any high kicks, which branch of shorin do you study?

aes,

imho, making it that far is impressive in itself. most people quit long before that. congratulations.

in terms of kicking higher, the key is relaxation. people who start at a later age (no offense, bro!) are often a lot more rigid (strength in western culture is synonymous with rigidity) and it takes awhile to overcome this. You might be a lot more flexible than your mind is letting you believe.

next thing you know, i'll be telling yuo tha tthere is no spoon. :)

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.