• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Startup capital.

Where did you get the finances to start your first dojo? Were there any grants/loans involved? If so, how did you apply for them? Thanks guys!

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When you're aying "your first dojo"..are you talking that you're a new instructor and looking to open your first COMMERCIAL dojo....aka, as a business?

If so, my recommendation is to start out small until you gain experience...LOTS of experience. An example would be to start a class in your home, church, school, gym, etc. Get a decent base following of students first, plus see if you really want to teach full time.

Pnce you have these "base students", meaning some middle/advanced ranked students that come on a regular basis, then I would consider opening a fulltime commercial dojo. This will also give you time to save some money for that dojo and give you an idea of how many students you might get, and what to charge them on a monthly basis to meet your expenses, plus give you money to support yourself on. That's assuming you are going to teach fulltime as your occupation?

Some more info such as your age, experience and business goals would be helpful

I don't know of any grants for opening a martial arts dojo, but the SBA (Small Business Association) will loan out monbey to start a new business..but you have to have a pretty detailed business plan to present to them with the loan application, or they won't look at you twice. Remember, this is a loan, and has to be paid back.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

WolverineGuy,

As I work out of town halls/YMCA etc. and have around 40 regular students, my main concern was to save enough money to cover 6 months hall fees and 12 months insurance fees.

Since I have full time employment already (Non instructional) any money I make from my clubs goes directly back into the clubs in the form of equipment, advertising etc.

It’s only been 5 months since my clubs were opened, a few thing I have learnt are:

1. Be yourself, work within your own limitations and have confidence in your abilities.

2. Be aware of seasonal influences.

3. Make sure you have reliable transport.

4. Show respect and you will be given respect.

5. Try to remember the names of all your students as they respond better if their name is called rather than just pointing to them or just saying next.

6. When working with kids, be flexible with your attitude but always maintain control.

7. Treat adult students as adults and not as school kids.

8. The greatest number of injuries occurs before the class starts when people are mucking around.

9. Do a basic first aid course or have some form of contingency plan in case someone gets hurt.

10. Always remember what it was like the first day you started MA or what it was like before your first grading.

11. Keep your accounts up to date, you may have to employ the services of an accountant and remembers the Taxman, avoid cheating the system, as you are likely to get caught

12. Try to avoid anxiety attacks 15 minutes before class when no one has shown up. They will show (eventually).

13. Don’t take it personally if someone leaves.

14. Define and make sure everyone is aware of your standards before signing them up.

15. Be aware of political influences within your group and keep in the loop.

It’s a big step from being “just a student” to a club owner/instructor, one that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Make sure you know exactly why you choose this path is it fame, fortune or a little of both.

Have a business plan, and be prepared to work hard over the next 3 – 5 years before thing start to take off. Remember, if you fail, the dreams and aspirations of your students are also goes down the gurgler.

Best of luck with the finances and I hope your club does well.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

• 1 month later...

The idea of starting out at a gym or YMCA isn't a bad idea. It's cheaper for rent. And it's cheaper for students.

But what to do when it's time to acquire one's own facility? How many students are going to want to voluntarily increase their tuition in order to help pay the increased rent and utilities?

So Many Masters; So Few Students

The idea of starting out at a gym or YMCA isn't a bad idea. It's cheaper for rent. And it's cheaper for students.

But what to do when it's time to acquire one's own facility? How many students are going to want to voluntarily increase their tuition in order to help pay the increased rent and utilities?

Make it worth their while. I'd start in a church or community centre. Somewhere that has no facilities other than the training area. Then when you move to your own location with gym, showers, etc, they will pay more.

Also becareful of the parents. Get to ladys or people in general. I have noticed this when I taught at my instructors school. They will talk bad about the prices or that they showed this or that. They just liked to bitch about stuff. But it brings down the moral of the school and other parents around listening to them. Besides if they go down the road the other school who teaches the same style. Is more expensive, less quality teaching and programs to offer. So again they wanted to bitch. Parents can be some of the hardest to deal with if your teaching children.

-Jeff