• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To many (bad) gradings----

Sibylla

I agree. My instructor will test us if HE thinks we are ready. But if WE think we are not, he doesn't force us. I've done it twice (declined testing) since I been at this dojang. My instructor had no problem with it.

Maybe you should talk with your instructor. He may have a valid reason for his actions. Then again, maybe not. It's better to sit down with him, before you make any drastic moves.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I have to ask if you're being a little melodramatic...

Are you saying that:

1. You don't feel ready to test.

2. Your instructor tells you to test anyways.

3. Your instructor tells you (using these exact words) that "you suck"

If this was truly the case, I'd be advising you to leave rather than wait longer between tests.

The grading took about 10-15 minutes, my legs didn't even get varm. I have about 70 hours of regular training practise since my last grading, and I have a good fitness level.

I’m sorry if I’m not getting this, are you saying your test was 15 minute long and you only had 70 hours of practice between belt levels?

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

Seventy hours is quite a bit of time at the lower end of the kyu spectrum. Consider the average school who meets thrice a week in one hour sessions. That's twenty-four weeks! That's nearly six months between gradings.

I see nothing wrong with a fifteen minute exam at the lower end of the ladder. The instructor should have a pretty good idea of what the student can and cannot do before he walks in to the exam. The test is simply a formality. Of course as the volume of knowledge increases, the tests will become longer. With only some basic techniques and a kata or two to demonstrate, why should it take so long?

Well my exams were a good five hours and six months isn’t a whole lot, but I thought she was including practice time as well, not just class time, so I was thinking that was maybe 3 months.

I have about 70 hours of class attendance between gradings, and about the same at home practise...plus some aerobic work and lifting weights. I've also been doing karate (another style) before I started at this particular school.

I personally would go to another school, it seems like they are more about telling you that you are doing things wrong then helping you to correct them, and I wouldn’t worry about the belts, to me they are just a color, I care more at being good at what I do and learning.

smr is right again. "Testing" is only a formality to recognize what you have learned. If you haven't learned the material at a proficient level for your rank then you shouldn't be asked to test. I believe that goes with any rank. Testing is merely a way to recognize achievement. This sounds like it might be more a problem with your instructor than you. That is the best answer I can give only having one side of the story.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Im not a fan of testing before your ready but sometimes it does one good to fail and step back and take a look at your progress. You learn much more from losing than winning.

I've learnt that I don't break down or panic even if it all goes south. That is a good thing for future tests.

I personally feel there should be longer gaps as colour-belts grading are advanced.

For a large part of my karate life, I was with the KUGB and their kyu-belt grading are every 3 months (a little longer subject to availablity of examining sensei). Once you get to 1st kyu, you then have to wait a minimum of 6 months to grade to shodan - the pass rate at shodan is about 20% on average.

I feel that the brown belts should be a bit harder to achieve as, if you check the official wording with the JKA, it is legal for a 3rd kyu to grade to be submitted to grade for Shodan; not a lot of people know that and I think you will find literally all sesnei will from upon it.

So I feel there should be at least six months between 4th and 3rd kyu and the same up to 1st kyu, upon which a minimum of 12 months should pass.

Too many people are in a hurry to get their black belt and should concentrate on building their foundation for a lot longer.

:)