• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To many (bad) gradings----

Sibylla

I've read R.Redmond's (24fightingchickens) advice about grading as fast as possible, but what if you don't learn as fast as others? And you fail your grades and/or get told repeatedly that you suck? Wouldn't it be better to ask people to wait with their gradings?

I've been doing other MA's and haven't had this problem, because the instructor told me beforehand that he didn't think I was ready.

Would it be a good idea to refuse to grade as often in the future? I know I am a slow learner, I don't see how bad gradings can make this any better, it just sours an otherwise positive experience.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Your Sensei should not ask you to grade until you are proficient enough to advance to the next level. There is no point to being a high ranking belt who has less skill than a beginner, is there. Ask yourself why you are in the amrtial arts to begin with.

I've read R.Redmond's (24fightingchickens) advice about grading as fast as possible, but what if you don't learn as fast as others? And you fail your grades and/or get told repeatedly that you suck? Wouldn't it be better to ask people to wait with their gradings?

I've been doing other MA's and haven't had this problem, because the instructor told me beforehand that he didn't think I was ready.

Would it be a good idea to refuse to grade as often in the future? I know I am a slow learner, I don't see how bad gradings can make this any better, it just sours an otherwise positive experience.

Never forget that a persons website is based on their views and opinions. What one person finds their personal truth is not necessarily the same for anyone else.

For the most part good instructors do not tell a student that they suck. They point out errors in the students technique and help them correct them.

I have to ask if you're being a little melodramatic...

Are you saying that:

1. You don't feel ready to test.

2. Your instructor tells you to test anyways.

3. Your instructor tells you (using these exact words) that "you suck"

If this was truly the case, I'd be advising you to leave rather than wait longer between tests.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Im not a fan of testing before your ready but sometimes it does one good to fail and step back and take a look at your progress. You learn much more from losing than winning.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have to ask if you're being a little melodramatic...

Are you saying that:

1. You don't feel ready to test.

2. Your instructor tells you to test anyways.

3. Your instructor tells you (using these exact words) that "you suck"

If this was truly the case, I'd be advising you to leave rather than wait longer between tests.

The head instructor have told me that I am "unable to learn" earlier this fall, in front the class. Of course that gave me some doubts.

But then he and sempai encouraged me to practise for my grading, so I decide to do it anyway. At the grading I am not asked to to what he and sempai have told me to practise. And I got no pointers during my kata (which the rest did, when they did a mistake). The head instructor yells at me and starts to give me his usual "fuming with anger"-face..

After the grade I get called forward and get this long "all is wrong" - monologue. I can't remember the exact words, but there was not a positive thing in it.

The grading took about 10-15 minutes, my legs didn't even get varm. I have about 70 hours of regular training practise since my last grading, and I have a good fitness level.

I like the club and the training (most of the time), but I am not sure what to make of this..I don't know how much emphasize to put on it. I'll probably always think that 10 min gradings are not a accurate measure of anything, it is just a silly ritual. But this was...well...I just don't see the point of it, it is

counterproductive.

I shouldn't grade until YOU feel truly ready for it. If your instructor is a good sensei he should understand. If not... maybe you should look for another club.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks all, for the input on my post, it gave me things to think about.

I am not sure what to do, I'll think I'll stay on with the club at least until next grading and then see what happens beforehand, try to clarify things a bit with sensei etc. But meanwhile I will check out other clubs so that I have a backup.

Instructors want you to pass, as tests, exams, gradings etc reflect how good/bad your instructor is at passing their knowledge on to you, and not a reflection on you ability to learn.

Therefore its my opinion that its in the instructor's interest to only put forward student who are ready to grade and not set someone up to fail.

If you are indeed being setup to fail consider going elsewhere.

Respectfully,

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do