• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honest answers needed

Hello all,

I have recently started Kuk Sool. I really love it(read ADDICTED)

My concern is my limitations. I have two screws in my shoulder(torn ligaments) Torn ligaments in my knee(ACL not repaired,meniscus,repaired) and CTS in both wrists.

So far,I have been doing great in class(things I thought I really couldn't do) My instructors know my limitations and work with me.They are great!

My question is:

Can I realistically make it to black belt?

Kyo Sa Nim in KSW

Certified Personal Trainer

Health and Business Consultant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I say yes you can. It'll take time, and perhaps some modification, but it can be done. Look at those in M.A. that are handicapped and have achieved their BB. Focus and go for it. I have a student who wanted to reach his BB before, or by the time he turned 40.....well he's still working towards his goal and hasn't given up.

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

You definately can.

Learn the techniques as your instructor teaches them, then modify them slightly to compensate for your physical situation.

Look at Master Harmon. Injured his right hand years ago. He adapted all the sword techniques for his left and is still the predominant swordsman in KSW.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Well, except for not being able to elevate myself as high as some, I've been able to pull off everthing I've been asked to perform so far.

(Of course, it is usually followed by extremely long visits to the hot tub afterward.)

I have had to adapt a number of techniques, because when I attempt them on certain people, they just don't go the direction they "should" due to the physical properties of their joints.

Oh wait, I know. I really wanted to reach out and slap ZR. However, he's just too far away. So, I adapted my attacks to verbal ones, where I torment him with my ability (and his lack of) to obtain his favorite beer here on the East Coast! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Your stories of hard work and dedication are an inspiration to us all.

Bestill your spitefull heart, for my Christmas wish of that nectar of the gods will be passing by my parched lips in a few short weeks courtesy of a dear old friend. A good friend indeed.

Merry Christmas.

:lol:

It's happy hour somewhere in the world.

Hello all,

I have recently started Kuk Sool. I really love it(read ADDICTED)

My concern is my limitations. I have two screws in my shoulder(torn ligaments) Torn ligaments in my knee(ACL not repaired,meniscus,repaired) and CTS in both wrists.

So far,I have been doing great in class(things I thought I really couldn't do) My instructors know my limitations and work with me.They are great!

My question is:

Can I realistically make it to black belt?

Yes, you can. I have two bum knees, and CTS also in both wrists. I recently hurt my back and had to modify my training a bit (among other injuries in my MA career), but it doesn't stop me :D Maybe I'm just nuts LOL.

Laurie F

what more do you want? training under these circumstances is the best you can get, no matter what color this piece of cloth around you waist is.

you will make it to black belt.

normally people are turned down the first time they test no matter how well they do.

Really? Is that normal in your school? How many others? Usually when we test the instructor knows we are ready...I've only seen 2 failures so far. One in each school I've been in.

KarateForums.com Sempai