Thepet

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I-Self What are you so angry about? This is all about helping each other gain knowledge.

Karate is NOT about fighting!!! It's about NOT fighting!!! It's about thwarting off an attack without having to fight. The person attacking you might be a good fighter. Stopping him before it become a fight. That's what Karate is all about.

I see traditional as: What the masters were doing before karate got to be so commercial. Yes original intent didn't take guns into account, but every other kind of attack has an answer in kata. Most street fights start the same way. You get pushed, or gragged, or they thought a sucker punch. That's reality, that's the truth.

It’s all there in our katas. The truth is the truth even if you don’t see things the same way.

More Practice

The only Goju Ryuha that has impressed me is Morio Higaonna's group.

True - old style tough training

P.S., hard Sanchin and the ibuki breathing associated with it is bad, bad, bad for your health. That is scientific/medical fact, something which true karate-ka need to understand in order to be true fighters

Not necessarily - if the breathing is done correctly, it is fine, actually promoting proper breathing technique. However, done incorrectly it can even be fatal, so one should make sure they're being taught correctly. If in doubt, don't do it.

Karate is NOT about fighting!!! It's about NOT fighting!!!

WHAT !!! it is about knowing enough and being good

enough to crush them and if need be survive if they are better than you. It was and is about fighting

"If you don't want to get hit while sparring , join the cardio class"

Do you know how to fight, Uechi Kid? If so, where did you learn?

We like to tell people that we aren't learning how to fight. We want to deny the brutal nature of what it is that we are doing, but to do so is to dilute your time and training.

I would say, if you want to learn to dance, then join a dance class. If you want to punch and kick yourself into shape, do Tae bo. If you want to learn to fight, then study martial arts.

I agree that you should try a new school, I know I am new on this forum, but part of my training has always taught me if you say your karate sucks, then it does, with this mentality you can’t get any better.

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

smr has a point. Karate didn't have this zen "train to not fight" attitude until Karate was introduced to Japan in the early 1900's. Karate was originally all about fighting to protect yourself and your family and friends. If you want a morality lesson go to church. If you don't think that you can use your techniques to defend yourself then you need to seriously examine the reasons why. Bring your concerns to your instructors. They will either listen to your concerns with an open mind or they'll tell you that you don't know enough to know what you're talking about. If they're not receptive I would personally walk.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

Ok. I think that I have a different definition for what a fight is. I think of a fight as being toe to toe exchanging blows much like boxers do. This type of fight often ends up on the ground and a wrestling match occurs.

Karate techneques were developed to stop an attacker before you have to get to the point that you're trying to out "fight" the attacker.

I have no problem hurting an attacker if that's what needs to be done. Uechi Ryu is full of techneques that will dislocate an elbow or shoulder, or snap a wrist. They are to be used at the very first oppotunity so the "fight" is very, very short.

Sorry if I didn't make my self clear before.

More Practice