• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

help!!I suck at sparring!!

Im an excellent grappler but I really need help in sparring :bawling: .I just started on it last night and I feel like I cant do anything because they will block it. If anyone has any tips at all please help.I havent learned any combinations so those could help too :D ! thanx :karate:

I never try anything...I just do it.

wanna try me

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just takes time. LOL

Rome was not built in a day. The big thing about sparring is fear of getting hit once that passes most do ok.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I'm the other way around. I'm pretty good at sparring, but in grappling, I stink :( Well, I'm getting better.

To answer your question, think of combos. Always throw more than one technique. And don't do the same thing twice. Keeps them guessing :) Sparring does take practice. No one is good at it at first, unless you are a street thug (and even they have to learn how to fight). Just keep at it, and practice.

Laurie F

Combos:

2 roundhouse without setting foot down - body / head

hook / roundhouse combo:

version 1 - to both sides of the head

version 2 - fake hook to back / then roundhouse to head or body

double ridgehand combo - backhand to body, front hand to head

double reverse punch - body / head

backfist / reverse punch combo

KarateForums.com Sempai

Practice is the key, as well as getting over the first hit, as everyone has already stated. Along with the combos that were given, think about your movement, forward-back-left-right. Think of your head movement as well, and body shifting. This will all take time, but soon enough it'll come just let it happen naturally :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Practice, Practice! With what everyone else has said just stay moving. That doesn't mean to bounce up and down in one spot. Keep your body moving and shifting so your opponent will have to constantly change his/her way of attack. It can also put you into some good position for your own attack. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

Backfist/reverse punch is practically my best combo...set it up with a side kick, and whoa mama!

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

It's hard for us to offer advice if we can't see what you are doing. Have you tried asking your instructor, or an experienced member of your club?

I'll offer some suggestions though:

Make sure you aren't just moving forward and backwards. Try to use angles. Step to the side, and just as he is pivoting to face you, throw a roundhouse kick to the blind side of his head.

Think about distance. Does your opponent love to kick? Wait for that kick, deal with it, then close the distance and throw as many punches/elbows at his as you can. If he retreats, chase him. As soon as he gets out of punching range, kick him.

Just a few things to try. :)

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

thanx guys. I think my main problem is that I dont have any combos yet.It was jus really depressing that I sucked at sparring because grappling came so natural. Im getting ready to spar again in a few days so wish me luck.thanx

I never try anything...I just do it.

wanna try me