• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Karate Class Without the Karate?

jjzombie89

I've been taking Karate class for over a month and during the class we focus on Ju Jitsu. They have never mentioned katas. The only thing besides grappling that we have done are basic punches and kicks. It seems like we havent learned any Karate. It's nothing but simple side kicks and roundhouse kicks, though. Should I be concerned about my instruction?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Not necessarily. Or, VERY. Really depends on the instructor and how the classes are set up. You may have just hit a period where they are focussing on ju jitsu and more traditional stuff will follow. Or, you may have landed in a school that sucked you in with the recognizable 'karate' label and have no intention of ever teaching you karate. You need to ask some questions. And if it suits you, does it matter? :wink:

Agreed

If its a Ju Jitsu school you won't do kata. You will do just enough stand up to get by with I would guess.

If its a karate school and you have yet to do a kata I think I would ask. Some teachers are going away from kata because of the populairty of NEW Martial Arts. Thats not a bad thing but I would not train there. LOL

Teachers do get in cycles oh where the focus on differant things. So ask and see what he says about it.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

The best person to ask about doing kata etc would be your instructor. Ask him/her if you get to do kata in your style of karate, or if it is a style that concentrates more on sparring (for example).

The school might call itself a 'karate' based style, but it may be a mix of other styles with the name 'karate' just to give it a simple name.

Anyway, if you're enjoying your training then I wouldn't let it worry you too much. If you're getting good instruction and its not a 'belt factory' then that's more important than putting a label on the style.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 4 weeks later...
Basic Kicks and punches will help you to develop good structure to which a good art will build on. Maybe you hit a time of year where the instructor is teaching Grappling techniques. If it doesn't change I'd be asking some questions. Most Karate school do Kata, Katas contain all of the basic kicks punches and blocks that are needed. good luck

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 2 weeks later...
A big problem with today's marketing and public perception is that ANY martial art is labeled as "karate." The average joe doesn't know the difference, and hte word karate becomes synonomous with martial art. This is misleading to those of us who know better. I can't count the times people have asked me what kind of "karate" I do...in reality, I haven't done a true form of karate in years.

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

• 1 month later...
I know. wolverines is right though.

A karate punch it is like a dasvasted stick blow. Instead, a blow of Kung Was is comparable to a lash with a chain that has attacked, allaltra extremity one ball of ferro

• 2 weeks later...
dont think karate as as fast track system or you will be disapointed if you want fast track choose kickboxing or free style

theres no one style just your style---------