• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muay thai was designed for the military wheni t was created. so was Tae Kwon Do , Jiu jitsu was used by samurai. Most Martial art's were not designed as sports, it just happens some do better than other adapting ot them.

i don't buy into the 'wing chun not good in the ring' argument.

if you take out the core principles and apply them correctly, there is no reason you can't make it work.

wing chun is about intercepting things that enter our gates then hitting over/under when we have control or when we see/have an opening.

it doesn't matter if the thing is an arm or leg we will deal with it. i don't see how being in a ring changes that.

unless of course by 'in the ring', you mean having rules imposed on us.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

well that's one of the arguments i hear all of the time....

if the wing chun guy has to use things like that to win a fight then i would say his wing chun isn't all that great.

think about it.

three forms.

three fundemental moves, 18(ish) derived from them, countless combinations of these, all applicable with different footwork, an entire form of loose techniques on the dummy and you can't win a fight without poking the other guy in the eyes?

the same goes for elbows.

i'll admit that losing the use of elbows makes things 'slower' but what about the most basic weapon we train with?

from day one we use the punch.

if you can't spar without using elbows then what does that say about your basic moves?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

Another issue with it would be adaptability. Most martial arts claim to be able to adjust to any situation. Sometimes you do have to take it down a notch and adapt to a less lethal situation.

Say a close friend is drunk and gets angry and you become the focal point of that anger. Are you going to gouge his eyes, elbow his face into a fine paste and cave his kneecaps? NO.

You aren't ALWAYS attacked by a group of thugs with bike chains and broken bottles, no matter what you tell the other guys in the bar.

In a ring, your opponent is not your enemy. Most likely, you know the guy, you've met him a few times, had drinks after shows, etc. You have to have the self-control to limit the techniques you would use on your opponent, and exploit the holes in his game with the tools you have left.

If your art can't do this, your art lacks basic adaptability and lacks self control.

Is that a complete art?

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.