• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

street clothes

aefibird

We have never done anything like that. But it sounds like a really interesting idea.

Another thing I am wondering about street fight/uexpected attack: I am so used to having a proper warm-up and stretch before doing karate classes that I think it would be really difficult to apply karate techniqes unprepared. After a warm-up, I can kick a person in a head, but before - I can barely kick higher than my belt!

I’ve always been flexible, but I heard my sensei one time tell another student that if he wasn’t flexible not warmed up then he wasn’t truly flexible.

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

That's quite interesting that and no, I haven't ever done that in a dojo.

I have trained by myself wearing civi clothes but once pulled a muscle in my leg due to the restrictive moment of a pair of tighter jeans when perform ushiro-geri. Now that was painful.

That's quite interesting that and no, I haven't ever done that in a dojo.

I have trained by myself wearing civi clothes but once pulled a muscle in my leg due to the restrictive moment of a pair of tighter jeans when perform ushiro-geri. Now that was painful.

I sympathise! I was once demonstrating ushiro-mawashi geri to a lower-grade friend from karate whilst wearing a pair of tight jeans. Bad idea - torn jeans and strained muscle in leg. :( D'oh! Not one of my finer moments!!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Those of you that have never done this training, how much self defense application do you work on in class? If you are taking martial arts to be able to defend yourself on the street you certainly better know how it might feel to have to do that. You have to know the limits that street clothing places on movement. It does make quite a difference. If you are interested in actual street application of technique I would suggest that you talk to your instructor about adding this to your program.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I think wearing street clothing in a karate class can be a real 'eye-opener'. Stuff you can do wearing a gi becomes stuff that is difficult to do wearing jeans or a skirt (and that's just for the men! ;) ). It really helps you to see street application of techniques and to find out what you would and wouldn't be able to do if you got into a situation where self-defence was really needed.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!