• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sport Tae Kwon Do

You just love to stir it up, don't you Ken.

Just one question: Do you need to block someones hands if you kick away his feet from under him when he approaches for a strike ?

Think about the strategy behind styles, not only about a technique for some idea. If a hand block is missing, perhaps, they don't use that ?

I know it's very fashionable to talk about the "true applications" in a "Real life street fighting" situation, but listen: These arts are battlefield tested for hundreds, if not thousands of years. If an art has lasted this long, ESPECIALLY with the detailed history of Korean Tae Kwon Do, it's got something to it. Pride for one's style is one thing, but don't make it block out your understanding of another style's strengths.

Don't let anyone tell you that any one style is superior, or "light years ahead" in any way. It's all down to the practitioner. It's the practisioner (as well as the teacher) behind the art not the art itself that deterimine a fight.

Maybe I need to lighten up :smile: Because you're talking about just Sport Tae Kwon Do but not Tae Kwon Do as a whole right?

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for your replys.........i see you guys have done your homework by reviewing the above responses............. :up:

CHANGWUJI........thanks for your respectfull insight.......... :wink:

NEILOO92...........all those things you mentioned are good but there is no substitute for sparring with a partner for timing...my suggestion is to start slow to regain your coordination and to work on combinations. then over time, speed up as those things return to you arsinal............ :nod:

rushman (karate forums sensei)

3rd dan wtf/kukkiwon

"saying nothing...sometimes says the most"--e. dickerson

if you are interested in "sport taekwondo" you can observe the latest sparring drills straight from korea online at http://www.taekwon.net in the video section (wma studio)..under sparring lessons :karate:

Javier l Rosario

bayshore new york

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your ass"

[ This Message was edited by: taezee on 2001-10-18 19:53 ]

Javier l Rosario

instructor taekwondo/hapkido

under master Atef s Himaya

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

• 3 weeks later...
Well, its been a few weeks since I started sparring again (see my last posts) and the old juices are flowin' again. I'd forgotten how much fun sparring can be.

"Jita Kyoei" Mutual Benefit and Welfare

i know it`s a bit late but keep it up and go for it!!!! :nod:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

• 1 month later...

actually tkd for black belt use to allow punching to the face but when they wanted to promote it as a sport they couldnt allow punching to he face because it was considered too violent...between mauo tai and tkd i prefer both...if don right tkd yo hardly have to block its mostly feints and dodges than quickly coming in wth a hit...th problem is you have to be really good with your timing and speed to get it right...tai boxing you have to be able to take hits...they boh ahve advantages and disadvantages...they wrote an article on this in blck belt magazine to see how the two are similar and different...but tang soo do is the combat variation to tkd

Is it not easier to strike a mountain than it is to strike a fly!