• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

but my point is, it shouldn't matter to you.

you worry about things that are entering your space,

not how things are BEFORE they've entered your space.

my training teaches me to only worry about things that are about to hit me.

i am aware of how the person would hit me differently due to how they are standing but how they stand doesn't change the way i fight.

they are two separate issues.

well, like i say, that is how i've been taught.

we train our left side twice as hard as we train our right so we're just as happy to use either.

maybe we're just used to switching sides (and facing a guy who switches sides).

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that goes with grappling also. For example, if someone is grabbing my lapel with their right hand (I fight left lead), I like to get that hand out of my way, get control of them via having my left arm around their waist and grabbing the bicep area of the lapel with my right arm. There are a number of throws I can do from there, but my favorite is a modified harai goshi.

Now, if he grabs with the left hand, that won't work, unless I do the clear, grab, etc. with my right arm instead of the left.

but my point is, it shouldn't matter to you.

you worry about things that are entering your space,

not how things are BEFORE they've entered your space.

my training teaches me to only worry about things that are about to hit me.

i am aware of how the person would hit me differently due to how they are standing but how they stand doesn't change the way i fight.

they are two separate issues.

well, like i say, that is how i've been taught.

we train our left side twice as hard as we train our right so we're just as happy to use either.

maybe we're just used to switching sides (and facing a guy who switches sides).

It's not an issue of knowing how to use both sides... the issue is one of tactics. once the tactics change, the way you fight does indeed change.

the only 'tactical' change is that what you do is now on the opposite side but this isn't strictly a tactical change is it?

instead of your left, you use your right.

instead of going to one side you go to the other.

it's just switching sides.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

If you are training your right and left sides to be equal (this usually involves doing twice the number of reps on the off side), then you don't have to worry about any of this do you? Not training your tools equally is in effect tying one hand behind your back and tying one foot to the ground.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

I'll agree, training both sides should be done equally, but your missing the point. Which hand is his fastest? His strongest? Does he throw punches from each side exactly the same? What about his defence? Is it the same? Is yours? You may train both sides, but you will inherently have a preferred side, no matter how hard you train. The differences may be subtle, but in a highly skilled match, each difference can make a mountain.

I don't believe the topic is going over anyone's head. Read the origianl post again. You can practice doing techniques on both sides all day long but if you don't practice sparring alternating lead side you just wasted all of your time learning techniques from both sides. Your tactics and strategy shouldn't change because someone switches leads. Everyone has favored techniques and a most have a favored side, the thing is, you have to realize this and compensate your training accordingly. South paws aren't any different to me, and to be honest I've never considered it much which side a preson fights from. As Drunken Monkey said, a technique comes in and I handle it. I don't worry about where it came from. There is such a thing as over thinking a fight. The object of any martial art (at least the ones I've trained in) is to make your response the correct one without conscious thought.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.