• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I hate when people fight me southpaw!!!

There must be some logic to why they are so difficult to fight. I've seen good right hand boxers get beat by average southpaws, just because they are so awkward. In MA we are taught to fight with both sides, but most people are more comfortable in a conventional stance. (left foot fwd). Any reasons why they're so hard to fight? Any tips?

In my past life I slayed hundreds

and the life before that

they played trumpets to warn you that I was coming.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are hard to adjust to because an orthodox puncher is taught to circle away from the power hand of their opponent, who is generally also an orthodox puncher. When they run into a southpaw, many of them still circle the same way, taking them directly into the power hand of the southpaw.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

You might have trouble with jkd fighters. they use there power side forward and most cases it is right foot forward.

Not actually. JKD is about tailoring the art to suit yourself, so it is a personal preference whether or not to lead with the power hand. In any case, you learn initially with weakside forward, and once your mechanics are down, then you begin to experiment with other methods.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

I think you have already answered your own question. A large part of the problem with southpaws comes from the fact that most fighters train and spar against orthodox stance fighters. They fall into certain grooves or responses to certain movements. When you toss a southpaw into the mix, it changes this all up. Imagine learning a kata entirely in one stance, and then someone asking you to switch sides. You might have a few problems.

this was taken from sifu Lamar M. DavisII

In order for it to be really JKD, the following elements have to be there.

1 power side forward-correct bai jong

2 econimical foot work.

3 verticle fist punching structure.

4 centerline preservation

5 longest weapon to nearest target

6 simultaneous defense and attack

7 stop hits and stop kicks

8 alive structure

9 no passive movements

10 bruce lee's 5 ways of atack

11 energy/sensitivity training

12 contact sparring......................and a few more

MY point is... yes powerside foreward or its not JKD and that means a right lead for most people.

Where Art ends, nature begins.

Bruce would love how his revolutionary approach to martial arts has become as rigid and dogmatic as the arts he rebelled against in the first place.

It's Jeet Kune Do, not "Imitate Bruce Lee Do".

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

have you read any of his books? Clearly in his own words he shows and describes the on guard position. You dont just do whatever you want, throw some techniques together and call it JKD. Hey I may be wrong go ask Dan Inosanto yourself.

but he said himself that jkd (especially the earlier form of jun fan kung fu) as he trained/taught is really a suit that only he can wear.

everyone else has to tailor the suit to fit him/herself.

the problem is that a lot of guys try to wear his suit, not realising that it might not fit properly.

the 'on guard' position he shows is HIS on guard position which he derived from his wing chun days.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

You are right but you need a firm foundation in the technical side before you can expand on it. The basics are what I have mentiond above. then liberate yourself.... on guard is derived from more than wing chun. for example his brother was into fencing. he got some footwork and what do you know they also have power side forward.