retsu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kicking with the toe requires tremendous accuracy, usually aimed at the the softer spots such as the temple or eye. I prefer just whacking the person with my instep!

Kyle Funakoshi

The temple or the eye? Obviously, you aren't using the groin or knees as a potential target if you consider those as "toe targets"! :lol:

Generally, targets considered suitable for the toe are below the sternum, the sides of the torso below the ribs, plus specific nerve targets of the leg between the knee and the groin.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

i saw a weird kick in an old book karate book,

a round house kick using the toe.

(i find it very weird, cause it'll injury his own toe too)

I believe many of the older Okinawan systems (we do) use the toes for kicking soft targets like the stomach and inside of the thigh. It allows much more penetration than the standard "ball of the foot" method.

It can be used like a regular front snap kick or a roundhouse, but in the case of the roundhouse, the foot is positioned differently.

We use the toe too, for a simple example I’ll use the front kick-we have a front instep kick and a front ball kick. The instep kick using the toe and it is most often used in a kick to the groin.

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

In Nagamine's "Tales of Great Okinawan Masters" he credits a special toe kick (tsumasaki-geri) to Arakaki Ankichi. (chapter 10.)

In the picture, the kick is performed with the second toe crossed on top of the big toe. I would imagine you press the toes hard against each other to keep them from collapsing.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

In Nagamine's "Tales of Great Okinawan Masters" he credits a special toe kick (tsumasaki-geri) to Arakaki Ankichi. (chapter 10.)

In the picture, the kick is performed with the second toe crossed on top of the big toe. I would imagine you press the toes hard against each other to keep them from collapsing.

I've heard of that toe-crossing before, but that's not the way that we do it..or not that I know of anyway. We use the big (great) toe only, however I know it is also in our system (I'm not quite this hardcore though) where you curl all the toes under and kick with them. A wee bit to hardcore for this guy. :o

Actually, now that I tink of it...WAY back in 1978 in Havre, Montana, Master Yuichi Kuda was visiting us from Okinawa and he walked up to the 1/2 plywood we had on the walls and kicked it with his toes, leaving 3 tiny little indentations from his big toe and the next two. My jaw hit the floor with that one!

Edited by Shorinryu Sensei

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Ow...

Sang H Kim (you see him in a lot of Turtle Press publications) appears to strike the roundhouse kick with his toes. I could be wrong. But what I'm not wrong about is that on his kicking video, his toes look like crumpled little stumps.

They might hurt to get kicked by, but they are still crumpled little stumps :)

I experimented with this kick in class one night, and found a lot of students couldn't make their toes even cross in the manner shown.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.