• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw a weird kick in an old book karate book,

a round house kick using the toe.

(i find it very weird, cause it'll injury his own toe too)

I believe many of the older Okinawan systems (we do) use the toes for kicking soft targets like the stomach and inside of the thigh. It allows much more penetration than the standard "ball of the foot" method.

It can be used like a regular front snap kick or a roundhouse, but in the case of the roundhouse, the foot is positioned differently.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I've heard of it too, and even know of one who uses it. I didn't consider it very practical for me, as I usually wear shoes outside of the dojo.

I agree with smr. The kicks using the toe are used specifically to target pressure points. However, since we wear shoes in everyday life, this is not very practical for modern martial artists. Unless, of course, you plan to do a "Billy Jack" and take your shoes off to fight.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

You guys wear shoes on the street? What kind of seriosu martial arts are you??? :brow:

OK, just kidding (in case you were wondering). You can still use the toe techniques with shoes on, and it's actually easier on the toes of course because your shoes help protect your little pinkies!

However, because the tip of a shoe is wider than the end of the toe, you lose some of the penetration factor you would get without the shoe on..but like you said, who wlks around all the time with no shoes on?

Now, I routinely wear cowboy boots (I'm in Montana ya know), and the tips of those boots can be one heck of an asset in a fight. :D

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I practice Uechi Ryu. We use the big toe kick (sokuto geri). It’s the main kick in our style. In fact we strengthen our toes by kicking tires that are cut in half and mounted on the wall. We start by just pushing against the tire and work our way up to kicking it full-blown. We also condition our shins by kicking the tire with roundhouse kicks.

Big toe kicks may not be practical on the street but if practice pointing your toe without shoes, you’ll point your toe with shoes. Not necessarily so if you practice the ball of the foot kick.

More Practice

Don't get me wrong. I still practice the toe kicks as well. If nothing else it teaches you a much higher degree of accuracy and control.

stl_karateka, where did you hear that story about Itosu Anko? I'm a martial history buff and I would love to read it for myself. I've never heard it before.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.