• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an isshiryuist I have always thought that the mizu gami was really gaudy. I prefer the fist shaped one personally, but even that is a bit much for me.

The one I dislike the most is the one (not pictured) that makes the water goddess look like a google eyed cartoon freak. Sadly, it is the mizu gami that you see most often, especially in my part of the country.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the informative article!

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• 1 year later...

Dude, there was no Isshinryu when Shimabuku saw that design first. Shinto's been in existance for centuries (maybe even millenia).

Chikara

karate es el amor de mi vida.

• 1 year later...
Dude, there was no Isshinryu when Shimabuku saw that design first. Shinto's been in existance for centuries (maybe even millenia).

The article only implies he didn't remember seeing it before the dream, or at least hadn't known whom the goddess was, as he had to ask someone. It doesn't mean the Shinto design hadn't been around for a long time. I don't see any conflict with the article...?

Cheers,

Tony

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

The patch was indeed designed by Advincula Sensei who is one of the most respected Isshinryu Karateka. Out of the original U.S. Marines who trained with Soke Shimabuku Advincula Sensei trained with him the longest. It is said they also shared a strong personal relationship as well. The patch was based on Soke Shimabuku's vision. The patch also originally had three stars. The 2 additional stars where added by Master Angi Uezu and only used in some Isshinryu organizations. The patches most commonly worn still have only three stars.

"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of character of its participants."(Master Gichin Funakoshi)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Okinawan-Karate-Do/320221624676804

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, a very thought provoking and interesting post--thank you for sharing that!

''Board's..........don't hit back'' The late and very great Bruce Lee, in the movie Enter The Dragon.