• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

defending against TKD high foot attack

I just found out that a spinning back kick or wheel kick could be legal in our style of karate tourneys as long as you are looking as the kick is delivered. :-)

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not know the proper term for it but I have seen in several mixed MA tournaments people that are big on TKD often like to come in with their foot out and in your face, holding it there and flipping it around.

I was wondering what some of the best counters for this in Tourney sparring would be?

If their was no rules I would expect leg sweeping their back leg would be effective or a trust kick to their groin or maybe hammering the pressure points around their knees would work too, but this is not allowed in many torneys.

The only thing that comes to mind is going in low with a high block under the leg and scoring a groin within 6 inch bubble type point, but there has to be other good counters to this.

all i have to say is maybe to side step when throws that kick at you and when he holds it there just side step and take him down or do what ever you want from there.

good point, angling off the lead piercing kick can be effective if the person isn't good at keeping there leg up. Another method of dealing with this is to grab or tap the lead leg away from you so that your opponent is off balance and their back is facing you. Then you can hitem in the side of the head with a reg hand punch. Which usually comes in from over top to the side of the temple.I use this all the time and picked it up at a tournament over in England. You have to practice it alot for it to be effective.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 3 weeks later...

get off line of the attack but move forward but at an angle or off line of the attack that way your out of harms way but close enough to do your own damage to the oppenent.

With all these stories about tournments reminds me of a story one of my friends told me one time.

He is a cage fighter out in Arizona. Really good stand up fighter boxing skills and low thai kicks are outstanding. Well he has a friend who runs some TKD association out there. So he decides for fun to compete at one of there tournments two weeks in advance he got one of those stretching and kicking techniques by Bill "super foot walance" He practices some of those drills. He then goes and competes. He beat the first guy sadly pretty easily. Well he see's this group of team members that are basically acting like pricks. They walk around all hard and are just butt heads when the spar. So he fights and beats the first guy rather easlily. Then he see's next two guys fight and it hapens to be one of the guys that was an * hole on that team. Seemed to be the team leader. that guy faught some other guy and basically hit them hard. After the match was called up he would stay hitting he was just a jerk giving attitude. The toher guy was alot smaller too. My friend got PISSED about this. So he goes up to his friend that runs the association who happend to run that particular sparring ring at that time also. So he walks up and whispers I am going to kick this guys butt. So my friend Mike and this prick from the other team square off. This was a point fighting tournment by the way. They say go. And my Mike goes straight in on the guy starts throwing boxing punches jab, jab, and hard right cross. the guy starts bleeding and getting the crap beat out of him. Judge calls up. Warns mike and gives the other guy a point. They go at it again. Mike does the same thing starts throwing bombs on the guy knocking him down. Again the judge (Mike's friend) gives the other guy a point (Even though mike should have been disqualifyed but some times there needs to be an exception. This to me is one of those times)

They go again. Mike pounds on this guy again. At the end. The other guy one on points. Mike ended up getting 3rd place while the other guy got 1st and some guy got second. Funny thing is people were taking pictures of them holding the trophies. The guy his face all bruised up and bleeding looks over mike all mad. But to damn scared to do any thing.

Mike just smiles with his 3rd place trophy in hand. Shows being a bully just doesn't pay off.

Mike is a reallly nice guy who usually never starts fights and tries to walk away from them. But some times people get to you and they need an * whooping these guys were * so they needed it in my opinion.

Thank you and that is all. -Jeff

I'm a student of TKD and i think you are reffering to us kicking your head gear w/ a round house and leaving our knee up and constantly kicking?

From what I understood from your problem... this is what I would say to do:

1. Hands are always up...keep up your guard

2. step the the side, put your hand closest to his leg up like you are raising your hand at school, but keep your other hand near the face and across the chest

3. From here you can choose many of kicks:

- drop kick :brow:

- come in w/ a round, 360 hook :)

- axe kick to the head

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

I'm a student of TKD and i think you are reffering to us kicking your head gear w/ a round house and leaving our knee up and constantly kicking?

Exactly! Sorry my description was not the best, but this is exactly what I saw and it is not something I see alot of in our style of MA, so throws me a bit.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

hehe...:D

You should always keep your head to the opponent, and look for an opening and immedialty hit it...but to counter such an attack try what I told you before...

Its easier to understand if you see it... :o

<Victory Martial Arts>

15 yrs old; 6 yrs in TKD

1st Degree Black Belt

Jr. Olympian | Team USA Qualifier

"Train Like A Champion, Fight Like A Warrior"

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking, something that you do see a lot in our style of karate is standing in a defensive posture, fists out and one leg in chamber.

It seems to help cover the lower kicks and makes it easy to pull the trigger on a fast front kick/roundhouse, but at the cost of mobility and a bit of balance.

In general I would think it is bad to hold the kick chamber position very long but I have not heard of this as being a bad thing as a rule of thumb.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this being good or bad?

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

Does anyone have any thoughts on this being good or bad?

It depends on who is doing it. LOL.

I saw one guy spar like that, and it was amazing to watch. He would just whip his leg out and hit you before you knew what hit you.

I've seen other people who try it, you can side step their first kick and they are defenseless.

I would think there are more in the latter group than the former.