• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

defending against TKD high foot attack

I do not know the proper term for it but I have seen in several mixed MA tournaments people that are big on TKD often like to come in with their foot out and in your face, holding it there and flipping it around.

I was wondering what some of the best counters for this in Tourney sparring would be?

If their was no rules I would expect leg sweeping their back leg would be effective or a trust kick to their groin or maybe hammering the pressure points around their knees would work too, but this is not allowed in many torneys.

The only thing that comes to mind is going in low with a high block under the leg and scoring a groin within 6 inch bubble type point, but there has to be other good counters to this.

43 Years old

Blue Belt (7th Kyu) Shorin-ryu

Roberts Karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I know the kick you are talking about, it’s usually head high going right to left in your face.

I would probably get busted for “holding” using a rising block as you described, therefore, depending on what stance your in, I would spin and execute a reverse turning kick or if on the wrong foot execute a middle section twisting kick. Alternatively, step to the side or backwards and wait for the leg to drop then attack.

The kick you described is usually performed by someone with a lot of confidence who is usually showing off their prowess. It’s my experience that if you manage to counter this kick with confidence, one of two things happens. Either your competitor gains a deeper respect for you sparring abilities or things get a whole lot worse during the match. Usually the latter. :D

BTW: I'm 43, still getting my butt kicked and loving it..

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

A simple counter is to do a side block, push their leg away so that they lose their balance, and slide in quickly for a counter while their body is exposed and facing you (if this is the kick i'm thinking of).

As John_G already described, the classic TKD counter to this would be a spinning counter...allows you to get in close while exposing only a non-scoring area (your back) to your opponent's attack. You could even use a spinning backfist instead of a kick. Put some theatrics into it for the best effect...act like you're frightened and dumbstruck by this awe-inspiring kick of his/hers, then execute the counter. The faster, the better...you will probably catch them completely off guard if you do it quickly enough. Keep your guard in tight (well covering head and torso) during the spin and right up until you throw the technique, JUST in case your opponent gets wise and reverse punches or something.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

This is an area that is a bit confusing to me. The back kick mentioned, is this considered a blind kick?

In our standard point sparring matches blind kicks are not allowed.

Some great tips though. :-) Thanks

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

ITF TKD the irony is that you are allowed to execute a spinning reverse turning kick (which I consider to be one of the more dangerous kicks to control) yet its illegal to execute a spinning back fist strike as monkeygirl described. Depending on your flexibility, (and I’m about as flexible as a brick) you could block, move forward and execute an axe/pick kick, they wont see that one coming.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a “6 inch bubble type point” aes?

John G Jarrett

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

The general (and I stress general) rule of thumb is to counter round techniques with straight ones and vice versa, however, this is a case where it could be effective to counter with your own roundhouse kick (under theirs). My favorite counter to this (Laurie cover your eyes!-oh never mind..you saw it at the test! :lol: ) is a pop-up round or front at a 45 degree angle right to the mid section , or a reverse turning kick (wheel kick).

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Excuse my ignorance but what is a “6 inch bubble type point” aes?

In our style of Kumite instead of allowing strikes to the groin or face they imagine there is a 6 inch bubble around that area and if you break that bubble but do not make actual contact it is a point. If you make contact it is a disqualification.

At black belt level they seem to give more leway here.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

The general (and I stress general) rule of thumb is to counter round techniques with straight ones and vice versa, however, this is a case where it could be effective to counter with your own roundhouse kick (under theirs). My favorite counter to this (Laurie cover your eyes!-oh never mind..you saw it at the test! :lol: ) is a pop-up round or front at a 45 degree angle right to the mid section , or a reverse turning kick (wheel kick).

8)

The roundhouse I could do but my dang short legs might not fair well against the avg competitor but if I did it fast enough and moved in quickly I think I could land it.

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

Depending on your flexibility, (and I’m about as flexible as a brick) you could block, move forward and execute an axe/pick kick, they wont see that one coming.

Well if you noticed I am asking questions about stretching in another area here. I am working hard at improving my flexibility so axe kicks are out of the question (besides this is another illegal kick in my style).

43 Years old

Roberts Karate

ITF TKD the irony is that you are allowed to execute a spinning reverse turning kick (which I consider to be one of the more dangerous kicks to control) yet its illegal to execute a spinning back fist strike as monkeygirl described.

No spinning backfists?? Ack!

Yes, back kicks are dangerous (I should know, I was nearly blinded thanks to one), but spinning backfists are pretty dangerous too. In Muay Thai and Shotokan matches, the spinning backfist seems to be a favorite knockout technique. And if they happen to be in too close to use the full extent of their arm, they just strike with their elbow! :o

Well, if all spinning techniques are banned, then my other suggestion of blocking hard and sliding in should work.

Then again...if you're much taller than the person, your legs would have quite the advantageous reach. Lean back, sidekick straight out (depending on where your opponent's guard is)? :brow:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.