• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

favoured training gadget

MunkyBoy

I don't know about 'favoite', but I have several improvised gadgets that I like.

I make dummies from almost anything. Pipe frames covered with foam, carpet, and duct tape. Fire hose. Old folding ladders. Old tires. Padded posts. Coveralls that shrunk a few years back, stuffed with rags and rolls of carpet.

My matt is a large rug over a roll of carpet padding I picked up off the side of the freeway.

I found a bunch of colored tennis balls strung on bunjee cords in the pet section of the dollar store. I strung some together, left some single, and added chord to some of them. I hang them around any area I want to work out in and use them for focus bals. The ones with extra chord are good double end balls.

I mounted my 50# bag on a swinging arm made from salvaged pipe and channel iron. I can lock it into place, or let it swing freely so I get a lot of movement. It traverses, and also, being a light bag, it sways and bounces as I strike. Can also be set up as a double ender.

I hung a leather shop apron in one of the utility rooms at work. No one has asked why it is hung where it is, and they havn't bothered it, so that is where I go for breaks when I'm there. I've kicked it, struck it, beat it with sticks, and run techniques on it. (Good thing no one times my breaks :D ).

Pads can be made from old seat cushions. Old car seats can be a good kicking shield.

Sticks, of course, can be picked up everywhere. But I shaped several on a grinder so I have an assortment of training knives in different sizes and styles.

Your immagination is the limmit when it comes to improvised training gadgets! Anyone else have any ideas? I'm allways looking for something else. And, as gifts, they go back to a tradition of making the gifts you give someone. Says a lot more than shopping the sales and giving something everyone has.

Freedom isn't free!

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any good techniques to help with accomplishing the splits?

True mastery transcends any particular art. It stems from mastery of ones self control the ability, developed through self discipline, to be calm, fully aware, and completely in tune with ones self and the surroundings. Then, and only then, can a person know himself. ---- Bruce Lee

Anyone have any good techniques to help with accomplishing the splits?

True mastery transcends any particular art. It stems from mastery of ones self control the ability, developed through self discipline, to be calm, fully aware, and completely in tune with ones self and the surroundings. Then, and only then, can a person know himself. ---- Bruce Lee

do three reps of the splits three times a day...and hold them for a minute each time.

Flexibility is about teaching your muscles to relax...try not to fight the stretch, just let your weight do the work. If you can stand up, and put your foot sideways on the top of a chair-back, then your hips are able to do the splits...and its just a matter of teaching your muscles to relax.