• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I decided to write this article to explain the basics(very basic) of the groundfighting training i do. This can be added to your training ...(im talking about groundfighting for real situations, not competition)

Takedowns:

You can't groundfight unless you are on THE GROUND!!

The easiest way to get your opponent there is with the use of a takedown. Most takedowns are simple and involve sweeping/lifting your opponents legs or throwing them. They are generally performed from the clinch(you have hold of your opponent).

Positions:

Position is very important in groundfighting, it dictates what you can and cant do to your opponent.

Mount: This is the position you will most likely want to be in. You are "sitting" on your opponent and generally have an advantage.

Guard: This is a position that is not usually favoured but can be used to your advantage if you know what you are doing. You are on your back and your opponent is "sitting" in between your legs. This is considered better than them having mount on you.

Side Mount: Your are ontop of your opponent but are laying at right angles to them. This is a good position to rest for a second before you finish off your opponent. Also a good position for performing knees to the head.

What To Do With Position:

Now you know the basic positions (there are others, and variations of each) i will explain some of the things you can do from each one.

"Ground n Pound": This is a common thing to do when you have your opponent on the ground. it is usually used in the mount, but can be utilized from the guard also. Basically you strike your opponent with punches/forearms/elbows etc until you can escape or they are knocked out/dazzed. To do this well just imagine you are fighting stand-up but are at the same range all the time with your opponent, you can use most of the same strikes, blocks, guard etc. Also pinning your opponents arm(s) to there body in various ways will also aid in you landing strikes.

Submission: I would tend to use this less in a real situation because i personally find striking more practical on the ground. But if the situation presented itself a submission like a choke/armbar/leglock could be used. Just remember that your opponent isnt going to "tap-out" and you dont have time to sit around on the ground for an hour holding there arm in a lock. So if you are going to do it, make sure you cause them damage to the joint/limb.

Practice:

You can practice the positions/ground n pound on a heavy bag layed on the ground. Also grappling dummies are available (or you could make one with a jumper and some track pants stuffed and taped together). The best way by far to practice is to find a good grappling school and spar.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with groundfighting in a real situation is usually the guy you fighting will have a couple of his buddies.so the second you end up on the ground their friends will start stompin on your head or punching you in the ribs.trust me,ive seen it happen.

The problem with groundfighting in a real situation is usually the guy you fighting will have a couple of his buddies.so the second you end up on the ground their friends will start stompin on your head or punching you in the ribs.trust me,ive seen it happen.

1) not every fight includes multiple opponets, and why is it the other guy always has friends but you never do :-? :wink:

2) Groundfighting is a neccesity if you want to train for the Street, You dont always have a choice, you may be tackled before you even know what hit you. To many martial artist spend 95% of thier time standing and Are a fish out of water as soon as someone is sitting on their chest pnching them.

3) Groundfighting dosent mean you have to take someone down and go a for a submission, it can be escapes and reversals that allow you to get back up as quickly as possible. It can also be avoiding submissions and achieving a dominate position.

Not to mention the fact that grappling arts are the most destructive arts available to learn. Against an opponent not trained to grapple, there's a good chance you could break at least two of his limbs in 90 seconds.

My personal ground strategy on the street would be:

1. GET UP!

2. GET UP!

3. If you can't get up, stike them a couple times, so they are dazed. Then stand up.

4. If you do grapple, only do it so you're in a position where you can stand up or strike them.

I decided to write this article to explain the basics(very basic) of the groundfighting training i do. This can be added to your training ...(im talking about groundfighting for real situations, not competition)

Takedowns:

You can't groundfight unless you are on THE GROUND!!

The easiest way to get your opponent there is with the use of a takedown. Most takedowns are simple and involve sweeping/lifting your opponents legs or throwing them. They are generally performed from the clinch(you have hold of your opponent).

I agree that without going to the ground there is no ground fight, but going to the ground on prupose is NOT a viable tactic in a life-or-death situation. Learn to use vicious groundfighting tactics that will allow you to get back to your feet as quickly as possible and don't purposely go to the ground.

Mount: This is the position you will most likely want to be in. You are "sitting" on your opponent and generally have an advantage.

This is a superior position in sport grappling but not for street groundfighting. Remember the goal is to get back to your feet as quickly as possible but IF you insist on using a mount, go for a head mount.

"Ground n Pound": This is a common thing to do when you have your opponent on the ground. it is usually used in the mount, but can be utilized from the guard also. Basically you strike your opponent with punches/forearms/elbows etc until you can escape or they are knocked out/dazzed. To do this well just imagine you are fighting stand-up but are at the same range all the time with your opponent, you can use most of the same strikes, blocks, guard etc. Also pinning your opponents arm(s) to there body in various ways will also aid in you landing strikes..

This is another sport tactic. If you truely want to dominate the situation and get back to your feet you will focus on vital targets such as the eyes, throat, groin with simple gouges, grabs, and strikes. Don't over-emphasize punches to the head as they can lead to broken hands and ultimately cost you a life out on the street. The goal is to get back to your feet as quickly as possible not beat the attacker into submission.

Submission: I would tend to use this less in a real situation because i personally find striking more practical on the ground. But if the situation presented itself a submission like a choke/armbar/leglock could be used. Just remember that your opponent isnt going to "tap-out" and you dont have time to sit around on the ground for an hour holding there arm in a lock. So if you are going to do it, make sure you cause them damage to the joint/limb.

I agree with this completely.

Let me say that I mean no offense with my reply but wanted to point out a few differences in sport-based tactics and the much needed survival-based tactics. The key is to ask yourself are the tactics that I am teaching as "reality-based" as equally effective for average women, men, and elderly individuals as they are for male athletes?

Steve

Personal Safety Unlimited

http://www.geocities.com/combatives

Easier said that done, cymry. I had a 260 lb guy just jump on me once(I weigh about 135.) There's no freaking way I could get up, I just barely pulled guard. Eventually I choked him out with a triangle.
:lol:

"The key is to ask yourself are the tactics that I am teaching as "reality-based" as equally effective for average women, men, and elderly individuals as they are for male athletes?"

If you are a male athlete, why should you try to fight like an old woman? Use what the good Lord gave you.

As far as not intentionally taking a fight to the ground, what if your opponent is eating you alive on the feet, and wearing a RINGSIDE BOXING T-shirt? I would try to take him out of his element.

As far as not using subs, what if your opponent is larger, stronger, and grins like a maniac when you hit him? Break whatever he gives you.

Trainwreck Tiemeyer

wishes he was R. Lee Ermey.

Firstly, Thanks everyone for your constructive replies.

I just want to add some things...

i generally wouldnt fight on the ground unless i had to...

example...

if i was taken down by my opponent

or

if i was getting pounded while standing and thought i would have advantage on the ground.

Also if i did go to the ground i would do what i had to and look to get up as soon has possible.