• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner in fear of sparring

goedikey

I disagree with nastia. You need to keep a good defense, but focus on scoring. This is point sparring we're talking about here. You can't block them all. Instead, focus on scoring before your opponent does. Kumite is a game of speed.

Agreed. In point sparring, it's a game of tag...and the idea is to tag them before they tag you! Defend to much and you might very well lose.

The street, on the other hand, is different.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree, you do have to try to score. And I am not a defensive type of fighter by any means. But while attacking, you usually expose body areas and thus become more vulnerable. So, if you are a good defense fighter, you just wait for another person to attack and expose themselves.

I think that for somebody who is afraid to spar defense could be a good thing to concentrate on.

I would do a lot of shadowboxing in front of a mirror and try to find your own patterns and try to break them, if you have a pattern you might not notice it but I guarantee your opponent will.

"Follow not in the footsteps of the masters, but rather seek what they sought."

Confidence comes with time. If you attack with no confidence then you will attack with your eyes closed, mouth open and a weak arm (or leg).

A good exercise is to use a simple zenkutu dachi step in and punch and allow your opponent to stop your advancement with mae-geri (or yoko geri). This is a drill exercise and not a free style situation. You will soon find that if you attack with conviction and strong stomach, you will actually push your opponent away, even despite their counter.

Be strong and just forget about being hit. Remember, they don't want to be hit either, so go for it and make sure you have the attacking face to match an attacking kiai!!

:)

Edited by ESA-Shotokan

My instructor said that she keeps training kumite with her disciples and sends them to tournaments to keep them away from the fear. I don't know if that's right, but I think it should help. If you just keep being afraid and scared of getting hurt, you never get over your fears. You have to pratice sparring a lot and not leave it just there in the corner. The more you try and practice the more your fear will slowly begin to disappear or leave you alone. My friend once said: if you think too much of what punches or kicks you should do next against the opponent you won't defeat him/her, don't think of anything, just let your spirit and mind free and attack and block when your heart tells you so.

I asked a kumiteka once if he's a bit afraid and he said that of course he is and that's why he is sparring, because he wants to get rid off being afraid of getting hurt.

So I'm sure you'll do just fine. ;) just think: I'm big! And imagine that your opponent is a little ant.. :D

Kill is love

The advice I give all beginners is to breathe and relax. Firstly the breathing part sounds too simple but when you are scared it's the last thing on your mind. Secondly relaxing can be quite a challenge if you are not breathing. To relax put yourself in a comfortable state of mind, like just before you are about to go to sleep except your focus should remain on breath control then do your best remember every time you are hit it is a lesson, the only scary thing is not learning that lesson.

Kisshu fushin oni te hotoke kokoro

• 5 weeks later...

I was like you, afraid of getting hurt and not picking up the techniques. Everybody was sooo much faster than I was at first. My first sparring lesson was with a class of Tae Kwon Do MA's, (I'm taking Goju Ryu) that had come over for a joint class. All their black belts came over, and they were all over 6'! I had prepared by shadow boxing, looking for openings, and just one or two techniques that would work for me. The instructors were very understanding and 'let me' hit them, it was almost pathetic. I was still very intent on learning defensive techniques more than hitting. This may have been wrong, but it was instinctive.

After a few more months of training, ( we do kumite weekly), I am now quite agressive and don't get hurt so much. Yes the odd bruise shows up and I have permanently bumpy shins from a few leg block trials, but people are now scared of me, because I'm so energetic in my attacks.

The breathing really helps, keeping calm and focussed on your sparring partner, and when they get one on you, ask them to do it again, so you can learn the defense for it.

You'll start to have fun with it after a while.

Good luck.